Rough idle, stalls, needs heavy revs and pumping the throttle to start

BenCovarde

Regular user
Hi all,

Took delivery of my first vette today, an 82, and already have my first issue.

Took it out for its first spin, started up a treat, idled without hesitation for about 15 minutes, drove off, no issues at all.
After a 20 minute run I decided to pull in for fuel. Needle was almost on red, not sure if it this issue is related but I noticed that upon acceleration the needle dropped a little and rose again with my foot off the throttle.
So I filled her up with a tank full, set off again and all was well until I got home.

Went out 20 minutes later and it started up fine, but idled rough and stalled after a few minutes. After restarting she was idling fine again.
One hour later, back outside again, needed to pump the throttle to get it started and this time when I drove off, it needed some heavy revs to keep the engine going.

My first thought is that filling up dislodged or stirred up some crud in the tank and the filter or lines may be blocked. I'll be getting on that the next chance I get, but should anyone in the mean time have any other suggestions I'd really appreciate them 👍

Roscobbc

You've probably nailed the issue. Perhaps water in fuel - water being heavier than petrol it will remain in bottom of tank. As fuel level decreases pick-up sock will draw-up the water and possibly other crap. Not sure if the tank system is the same with a Cross Fire engine - having said that if it is perhaps its other issues?