Sad day for me

Nosheruk

Well-known user
Today is a sad day for me. My 1978 pace car is off to a new home. This was and still is my dream car, (apart from a Delorean😆). I simply need a car that needs less tinkering time as my back issues are not helped by cold concrete floors. I had no intention of selling just yet, but an opportunity presented itself and my head overuled my heart. I cant thank Gavin Roe from EMC for all his help along the way and i am sure you will carry on helping the new owner too. Gavin sold me a great car to start with which i have added to over the last 3 years or so with his advice and parts. I dont like the way classic american cars are being traded lately so not sure what my next car will be. As an example, seeing a Corvette for sale for £17k and then it appears a few weeks later with another trader for £26k makes me not trust anyone to be honest. Seen a few examples like this lately. I will stick around as i still may end up with a C5 or C6 😉 Norman

Attachments

• 20200919_161458.jpg
    20200919_161458.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 3

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Sad day for us as well Norman up here in the north east, tis a shame when a Corvette leaves the area for other pastures especially a 78 pace, but I know exactly how you feel as regards groveling around under vehicles when you reach a certain age or have a certain disability, I was thinking of trading or selling mine for a newer model but keep thinking I must do this and upgrade that before taking the plunge, it keeps calling me through the garage doors.
Also know what you mean about prices, I keep an eye on most of the dealers prices, and know of several examples where the dealer hasn't shifted a Vette for a year or so, and then sticks 10 grand on the price whilst car is sitting in the showroom.
Ridiculous carry on at this particular time when money is tight.

Roscobbc

It's important that the individual seller makes sure he or she advertises their vehicle comprehensively, reaching all possible markets - having said all that - there are many people who perhaps lack the confidence to do this and are seemingly happy to allow a third party (the dealer) to beat them down on the asked price just to avoid contact with potential buyers and the 'hassle' of selling. Its an interesting fact that many main dealers actually make more money on selling used vehicles than new.
I'm sure we've all seen the tactic - when it come to the dealer buying your car he'll explain to you in some depth that the market is really bad at the moment and people don't actually want a C1/C2/C3/C4/C5/C6/big block/small block/automatic/68/69/70/71/72/73/74.....whatever - effectively whatever your car is according to the dealer - no one will want it!.....they'll explain in some detail the reasons why the 'market' doesn't want your vehicle but he'll do 'you a favour', and going against his common sense will buy it off you (after succesfully 'downing-it' to buy at a knock-down price).
How strange that a little later, when the dealer advertises the car the desirability factor is often totally transposed - the things the dealer was been 'knocking-down' on your car strangely and inexplicably now become the cars major selling points and the reason why all of a sudden you'll see a significant increase in the asking price above your selling price......

mickn

CCCUK Member
It's important that the individual seller makes sure he or she advertises their vehicle comprehensively, reaching all possible markets - having said all that - there are many people who perhaps lack the confidence to do this and are seemingly happy to allow a third party (the dealer) to beat them down on the asked price just to avoid contact with potential buyers and the 'hassle' of selling. Its an interesting fact that many main dealers actually make more money on selling used vehicles than new.
I'm sure we've all seen the tactic - when it come to the dealer buying your car he'll explain to you in some depth that the market is really bad at the moment and people don't actually want a C1/C2/C3/C4/C5/C6/big block/small block/automatic/68/69/70/71/72/73/74.....whatever - effectively whatever your car is according to the dealer - no one will want it!.....they'll explain in some detail the reasons why the 'market' doesn't want your vehicle but he'll do 'you a favour', and going against his common sense will buy it off you (after succesfully 'downing-it' to buy at a knock-down price).
How strange that a little later, when the dealer advertises the car the desirability factor is often totally transposed - the things the dealer was been 'knocking-down' on your car strangely and inexplicably now become the cars major selling points and the reason why all of a sudden you'll see a significant increase in the asking price above your selling price......
Are you the dealer in disguise who bought my Cobra off me before xmas? :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

I'm sure here are dealers who 'hide' behide some form of anonimity - Having said all that earlier perhaps I am being more than a little 'unkind' to dealers who do not make huge margins on the cars they are selling and who genuinely offer an excellent service to their customers......

Nosheruk

Well-known user
My original comment was aimed at "some" dealers.
We see cars listed for sale at a reasonable price with one dealer for them to be purchased by another dealer and relisted at a much bigger figure.