Side pipes

Adriana1

Busy user
Hi all
Happy new year t everyone

Just a bit of advice please
I have a small block 71 manual vette, imported from NYC, the car came with standard exhausts fitted, but also a full set of s/s. Side pipes and headers, these have been fitted to the car some time ago but the owner shingled them for standard exhaust
I now want to put the side pipes back on plan to do it tomorrow
Can anyone tell me what sort of job it is?? I am thinking that as they have been fitted before all the tricky work should Bev been done

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It's not difficult technically but getting the headers manoeuvred into position can be tricky as they have to go in from underneath the car.
You'll have to remove the clutch z-bar, probably the oil dipstick tube (mole grips on then twist and pull upwards) and spark plugs.
A new set of header gaskets would be wise. Your spark plug leads may need to take different routes around the header tubes.
Connecting side pipes themselves should be a doddle if you have the brackets etc from when fitted before.
Don't forget ear defenders for neighbours when you fire her-up!

Corvette

Well-known user
It's not difficult technically but getting the headers manoeuvred into position can be tricky as they have to go in from underneath the car.
You'll have to remove the clutch z-bar, probably the oil dipstick tube (mole grips on then twist and pull upwards) and spark plugs.
A new set of header gaskets would be wise. Your spark plug leads may need to take different routes around the header tubes.
Connecting side pipes themselves should be a doddle if you have the brackets etc from when fitted before.
Don't forget ear defenders for neighbours when you fire her-up!
Presumably they are Hookers? You will need the fitting kit namely the rear rubber "buttons" that locate in the elongated hole at rear of chassis below door. Sometimes a shorty spark plug is needed at the front cylinder drivers side.

Adriana1

Busy user
Ok so fitted the side pipes all went a bit fiddly but got them done in about 4 hours, looks and sounds great
They are Hookers but were fitted with very large headed self tappers into the side rail of the chassis- a bit crude but work fine
Ok with the spark plugs but fitted some heat shielding to the front plug caps
Had a job with one of the manifold bolts- wouldn’t physically go in as it seemed to long, so cut a few threads off- now to short !!!!!
Runs great and doesn’t leak at all, will need to get another bolt, not sure what size thread they are but they have a small 11mm head
One of the problems I had was a chucked out all my imperial spanner’s many moos ago thinking I would never need them again!!!!bad move

I now have a great and fairly new exhaust system for sale with cross centre pipe and square tail pipes- anyone??

Thanks for your help and advice

Corvette

Well-known user
Well done, if you can't find a bolt I have a few and am in the garage at the weekend til Wednesday, Hooray garage time.