Spare tyre advice

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All , while the 72 is in the air I took the opportunity to drop the spare wheel tub for a general clean up behind it. I am going to give the tank ( although new 9 years ago, ) a coat of hammerite. I found an old spare wheel with a tiger claw tyre that looks pretty old and past it. Just looking at a budget replacement from northants tyres. Its only a spare, hopefully never needed but will be new and a safer bet than leaving the vintage one in there. Any thoughts or recommendations. DB10A705-7793-4E94-89BF-D8CC18060BD4.png735AF937-61B3-464A-9770-712886F6C8C4.jpegCC70437D-4733-470D-B2C2-2B8C6E42D1CC.jpeg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That’s actually a pretty decent tyre - I’ve got four of them on my car! - but in the “raised white letter“ version and the correct size of 225/70/R15. They are H rated, which is a higher rating than both BF Goodridge and Copper Cobra. (I see BFG‘s are eye-watering expensive now at £350 each)
Have you got 205/70 tyres on the car? The tyre size for a spare I assume should be the same as the others on the car, but if it is very similar on diameter then I guess the narrower width isn’t a bad thing for easier storage in the holder.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
That’s actually a pretty decent tyre - I’ve got four of them on my car! - but in the “raised white letter“ version and the correct size of 225/70/R15. They are H rated, which is a higher rating than both BF Goodridge and Copper Cobra. (I see BFG‘s are eye-watering expensive now at £350 each)
Have you got 205/70 tyres on the car? The tyre size for a spare I assume should be the same as the others on the car, but if it is very similar on diameter then I guess the narrower width isn’t a bad thing for easier storage in the holder.
Yes just a bit like a spacesaver in a modern car. . At least it will be nee. Cant see the point in carrying a 200quid tyre around for a ride that no one sees and you will hopefully never use , but i want to know the old spare wont explode and take out half a fender in an emergency. 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes just a bit like a spacesaver in a modern car. . At least it will be nee. Cant see the point in carrying a 200quid tyre around for a ride that no one sees and you will hopefully never use , but i want to know the old spare wont explode and take out half a fender in an emergency. 👍
Oops “new”🤣

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I've alloys on my 79, but the spare is a steel rim. The old spare was old, very old, so I replaced it. I put on a 195/70 x 15, which is actually the same size as my Transit van. Fits perfectly in the carrier.

antijam

CCCUK Member
....... (I see BFG‘s are eye-watering expensive now at £350 each)......
Seems pricey. I've just had four 215/70R15 BFG Radial T/A with RWL fitted for £607.87. These are obviously marginally narrower than the 225's that they replaced but they are a nearer rolling radius to the original bias ply F70x15s so the speedo remains more accurate.. They were slightly cheaper than 225's as well.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hmm , I dont think I want
Seems pricey. I've just had four 215/70R15 BFG Radial T/A with RWL fitted for £607.87. These are obviously marginally narrower than the 225's that they replaced but they are a nearer rolling radius to the original bias ply F70x15s so the speedo remains more accurate.. They were slightly cheaper than 225's as well.
Tyres across the board seem to have gone up like everything else at more than the supposed official rate of inflation 🤔

Roscobbc

Could be the right time now for some of you C3 owners to consider investing in a set of new larger diameter wheels and tyres?.......tyre size options are really exhaustive now - its really quite easy to find tyres with the same (or very close to) diameters as per the OEM sizes. I've found that 18" rubber seem to give the best option of sizes, and importantly prices. As a side note the Accelera brand tyres are really very competitive and seemingly highly rated by users considering the prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 12-36-48 Tire Size Comparison.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 12-36-48 Tire Size Comparison.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 12-38-57 Search 1 result found for 245 50 R18.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 12-38-57 Search 1 result found for 245 50 R18.png
    77 KB · Views: 3

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Sorry, I had looked at the price of 255/60/R15 BFG which is £349 at North Hants tyres (a size that a lot of people have on a C3).
Diameters of the tyres we're discussing-
F70/R15 = 27.1" diameter (OEM)
205/70/R15 = 26.3"
215/70/R15 = 26.85"
225/70/R15 = 27.5"
255/60/R15 = 27.1"

Could be the right time now for some of you C3 owners to consider investing in a set of new larger diameter wheels and tyres?.......tyre size options are really exhaustive now - its really quite easy to find tyres with the same (or very close to) diameters as per the OEM sizes. I've found that 18" rubber seem to give the best option of sizes, and importantly prices. As a side note the Accelera brand tyres are really very competitive and seemingly highly rated by users considering the prices.
Definitely, but it comes back to wanting the "look" of raised white lettering, so sticking with those classic tyre sizes.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Just noticed nearly 30mm less in diameter so will go for a 225 to match this a bit better . 🤔👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Part of deciding in going with a different wheel and/or tire size over OEMs is if what is chosen will affect having a
incorrect MPH which also affects the speeds an auto tranny shifts and then if so how to correct that by
changing a speedometer gear pre-1995 MY or via tuning the PCM for C5s and newer so proper MPH is reported

Then consider if going wider of tires, if the existing wheel is wide enough and in case of the front will the tire rub when making full radius turns
or any location rubs when hitting potholes, curbs, etc

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Question, but is you move from 215 to 255 you need to change the Wheel Rim as well?
The 72 has 225’s as standard. I thought a 295 would do as a spare til I saw that it had less diameter, would have just felt wrong. 225, 70 ,15 here tomorrow c/o Northants tyres, delivered and inc vat for 137 quid. Very helpful and efficient service. 👍

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It does get confusing on here 😂
I just looked at the photo of your old spare - it’s a 205/ 75, not 205/70 so should have a diameter of 27.1” - only slightly smaller diameter than a 225/70 (= dia 27.5”) that’s not 30mm smaller???

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It does get confusing on here 😂
I just looked at the photo of your old spare - it’s a 205/ 75, not 205/70 so should have a diameter of 27.1” - only slightly smaller diameter than a 225/70 (= dia 27.5”) that’s not 30mm smaller???
Ivguess the old spare was just an odd one the po put in there , now have the correct size and same as the ones on the car. 👍