Speed Bumps / Cushions

phn

CCCUK Member
Hi there, will a standard C5 have enough ground clearance to get over standard uk speed bumps / cushions without grounding?

Reason for asking is I'm a new member and am hoping to buy a Corvette this year. I have a concern though as my house is surrounded by speed bumps - it's literally not possible to go anywhere without having to navigate 5 or 6 of the horrible things!

So I just thought I would check the experience of other C5 owners first of all because if it's going to scrape all the time this may be an issue.

Many thanks for your help,

Philip.

Ian at Forfar

CCCUK Member
Hi Philip , owned a C5 for 21 years in sunny Scotland . I found that the front spoiler would occasionally scrape on speed bumps but never any damage done . Hope you find yourself a nice C5 .

Reactions: phn

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I regularly drive mine in South London, I've found a different approach is needed for different types but none so far I've not been able to get over (mines lowered as well).

The type with three separate little humps next to each other (or where there are just two) you need to drive over with your wheels on a hump each. Don't try and go over them with the hump in the middle of the car and the wheels on either side as you might catch the bottom of the car depending on how high they are. It does mean you will need to take up the middle of the road but I've not really had a problem, people tend to have sympathy for Corvettes over say a 911 :ROFLMAO:

Regular speed bumps/tables/pillows you just take slow, the lower air dam is sprung and designed to scrape so you'll hear it but it won't cause any damage.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi there, will a standard C5 have enough ground clearance to get over standard uk speed bumps / cushions without grounding?

Reason for asking is I'm a new member and am hoping to buy a Corvette this year. I have a concern though as my house is surrounded by speed bumps - it's literally not possible to go anywhere without having to navigate 5 or 6 of the horrible things!

So I just thought I would check the experience of other C5 owners first of all because if it's going to scrape all the time this may be an issue.

Many thanks for your help,

Philip.
Hi Philip , The 1999 Highways Regulations UK state that humps / cushions should be not less than 25mm heigh and not more than 100mm high . The problem is that many local authorities seem to do their own thing and construct them incorrectly . Plus using sub contacted labour tends to make things worse due to lack of supervision . In the unfortunate event that anyone of us damages our vehicle on an incorrect or poorly maintained traffic calming device you have grounds to sue the authority responsible .

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Sound advice from everyone, always try & go on the side of the speed bump rather than straddle it. The side skirts are rubber so will scrape but will flex & the centre is sprung to swing back as advised above. When I first got our C5 I bought some rollers which were easily fitted, should the speed bump be so high that you can't avoid catching it then the rollers will ride the bump rather than scrape the car's metalwork. Mine are double rollers but here's an example which will do the same job.
The C5 is a fantastic choice (y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sound advice from everyone, always try & go on the side of the speed bump rather than straddle it. The side skirts are rubber so will scrape but will flex & the centre is sprung to swing back as advised above. When I first got our C5 I bought some rollers which were easily fitted, should the speed bump be so high that you can't avoid catching it then the rollers will ride the bump rather than scrape the car's metalwork. Mine are double rollers but here's an example which will do the same job.
A C5 Skate Board !! That`s novel . :ROFLMAO:

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I have a set of those but never ended up fitting them. Only ever caught the skid plates twice, nothing to do with speed bumps ironically.

Roscobbc

We have a raised 'speed platform' right outside our house - and more in our 30 mph area - they are full road width except for the extreme edges, about 2 mtrs wide and I'm guessing 75mm ish high. Its interesting to observe vehicles going over them and the effects caused. You'll hear many ordinary cars scrape their front air dams as they go over. Some of this is due to drivers banging on the brakes at the last moment, obviously causing the front end to momentarily lower.....and scrape. Other car drivers have figured the 'resonance' of their cars suspension, don't slow down, even speed-up without issue. Commerical vehicles, especially trucks with understandable hard unyielding springs rates create huge crashing noises.
The large bore exhaust system on my C3 runs under the chassis (instead of through it) - ground clearance is very poor (about 3") along the centre line of the car, and yes I do have issues with the triple divided speed humps previously mentioned. No issues with the full width ones.......providing I go over slowly and don't 'load' the suspension. Try and watch how the guys with lowered BMW's, Porches, Lambo's and Ferrari's deal with the humps, they always go over at walking speed so as not to depress the suspension - 'riding' the humps rather than 'sraddling' them - I find that going over them at an angle can help to reduce the risk of scraping. Get to know your local roads - even on ordinary roads, mine two-up can scrape at speed on uneaven road surfaces if the suspension 'bottoms' due to sunken sections.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
I also fitted these which do away with the need for jacking pucks. They work really well, although I only paid a fraction of today's cost 16 years ago.

phn

CCCUK Member
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

All around where I live they have put speed cushions exactly where they narrow the road for traffic "calming" so unfortunately there is no other option than for car to straddle the speed cushion with one wheel either side. Hence my concern!

But judging by the responses so far it looks like a standard ride height should be ok (and I read you can even adjust the suspension to raise it a bit) so I won't let this stop my corvette dream!

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Speed humps are not a great issue, just go over them carefully. My issue is my driveway as I have to cross into it diagonally as driving straight on grounds the front lower edge. Basically it's the front overhang that doesn't like the drop from the road, then the rise immediately after into my drop kerb. It happens sometimes on an abrupt change of level when I go over a local rail bridge if I go even slightly too quick - like 10 mph.
Good luck finding your car.

Pete