Stance

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi have noticed my 72 somtimes looks uneven from the bach. Like it has settled on the drivers side. I usually give the rear bumper a push down or a pull up and it then looks better. Wondered if this is a common thing. All rear suspension re built or renewed with glass rear spring , any ideas?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Is the body level on the chassis?
Does the spring look unequal when it’s unloaded?
Are the drop links to the spring the same length?

Which bit do you think doesn’t look level? Bumpers might be off.
You could check that the suspension mounts were all done with the car on the ground.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Is the body level on the chassis?
Does the spring look unequal when it’s unloaded?
Are the drop links to the spring the same length?

Which bit do you think doesn’t look level? Bumpers might be off.
You could check that the suspension mounts were all done with the car on the ground.
I will have closer look tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers. . I can bounce it up and down and it looks better, . I will do some measurents of the spring bolts . 👍

Roscobbc

Any American car that has been 'exercised' frequently will have a slight bias to driver's side - mine has (I'm 14.5 stone) - perhaps doing things like this won't help!

Attachments

• _DSC4315-1.jpg
    _DSC4315-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
When my car was professionally set up, as a matter of course the occupants weight is replicated in the car, all my suspension components were new and leaning to the harder shock settings, I am grossly overweight and I recorded the difference in driver's side height between my weight in the Vette or not as a 5mm difference - The Drivers side has the extra weight of the steering box and battery, however any in-balance Mad4 is experiencing I would think is down to incorrect set up or wear.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
When my car was professionally set up, as a matter of course the occupants weight is replicated in the car, all my suspension components were new and leaning to the harder shock settings, I am grossly overweight and I recorded the difference in driver's side height between my weight in the Vette or not as a 5mm difference - The Drivers side has the extra weight of the steering box and battery, however any in-balance Mad4 is experiencing I would think is down to incorrect set up or wear.
5mm? Mine looks a couple of inches but as I say settles again if i bounce the back end,everythin is new or rebuilt and the spring bolts measure 7.5 inches rubber to rubber both sides. The frame was tweaked back to factory specs by a frame shop in the us as part of the body off resto. The car has only been drven in and out of my garage since i got it as not registered yet, may just need a run to settle things?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
5mm? Mine looks a couple of inches but as I say settles again if i bounce the back end,everythin is new or rebuilt and the spring bolts measure 7.5 inches rubber to rubber both sides. The frame was tweaked back to factory specs by a frame shop in the us as part of the body off resto. The car has only been drven in and out of my garage since i got it as not registered yet, may just need a run to settle things?
Once settled should not need re-settling unless the weight of the car was raised off the ground again.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Is the rear spring new as well? Old steel springs can develop considerable inter-leaf 'stiction' as they age. While it may be possible to overcome the effect by 'bouncing' the car, in the static position the hysteresis may still be apparent.

I had a similar problem that I initially 'cured' by replacing the spring bolts and rubbers - see here.
However it became visually apparent that the real problem was a tired or sticky spring. Since replacing this (see here.) stance is fine.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If it doesn’t look level after reversing out of the garage I wouldn’t worry about it. Wait till you’ve driven it somewhere. Then have a look. It’s probably riding up the diff or something.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Hi have noticed my 72 somtimes looks uneven from the bach. Like it has settled on the drivers side. I usually give the rear bumper a push down or a pull up and it then looks better. Wondered if this is a common thing. All rear suspension re built or renewed with glass rear spring , any ideas?
There’s lots of things this could be.
Is the front of the car out of level too on opposite corner?
Rolling the car backwards then forwards a couple of metres should be enough to settle it - if it’s been jacked up off the ground. Unless one of the suspension bushes is severly binding, I wouldnt expect the car to settle in a significantly different position after pushing up or down on any corner.
As a start, I would check tyre pressures are correct all round, check the floor is relatively level then take some measurements to the top of the wheel arches all round. This measurement varies a lot on C3s but should be in the region of 27 to 27.5”.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
There’s lots of things this could be.
Is the front of the car out of level too on opposite corner?
Rolling the car backwards then forwards a couple of metres should be enough to settle it - if it’s been jacked up off the ground. Unless one of the suspension bushes is severly binding, I wouldnt expect the car to settle in a significantly different position after pushing up or down on any corner.
As a start, I would check tyre pressures are correct all round, check the floor is relatively level then take some measurements to the top of the wheel arches all round. This measurement varies a lot on C3s but should be in the region of 27 to 27.5”.
Thanks forrest, have not checked tyre pressures and it has been trailered, stored and shipped over the last 3 months. Will do that and check the measurements as you say.