Starting when hot

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi all,,took my 81,,c3 for a 15 mile run few days ago, stopped off for a bevvie on the way back,car parked at least for 45 min,but had probs starting,this not happened before,,starts first turn of key when cold,any ideas what prob could be, cheers

Roscobbc

Hi all,,took my 81,,c3 for a 15 mile run few days ago, stopped off for a bevvie on the way back,car parked at least for 45 min,but had probs starting,this not happened before,,starts first turn of key when cold,any ideas what prob could be, cheers
Percolation ? - if the weather was hot/car in heavy traffic/you had been driving perhaps a little hard and underhood temperatures are also hot, perhaps float bowls are boling-off fuel?

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Thanks for your reply,most of the run was on a duel carriage way,steady 60 mph,was warm but not hot,just strange not happened before?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks for your reply,most of the run was on a duel carriage way,steady 60 mph,was warm but not hot,just strange not happened before?
Was it hard to start because you expected it to because it was warm and so you didnt pump the gas pedal first?
my 72 if re started within 10/15 minutes doesnt even turn over. Just bursts straight into life just lightly pressing the pedal as i turn the key. However if I tried that after 30/40 mins it would spin over really quickly but not even fire as the carb bowl is empty. It needs 2/3 pumps to fill the bowl prior to turning the key.
mine rarely feels hot enough for the fuel to have perculated away but it obviously goes somewhere, I just put it down to evaporation rather than actually boiling the fuel. I think it may just be a characteristic of a SBC with no choke and a double pumper carb. 👍

Budgie

CCCUK Member
As I said not had this prob before,did pump gas but still took few mins to fire up?,
Ps it's fitted with edelbrock carb

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
As I said not had this prob before,did pump gas but still took few mins to fire up?,
Ps it's fitted with edelbrock carb
It took me a while to decide if mine was short of fuel or flooded, now if its been stood twenty mins I give it a pump and she seems fine. When the carb is empty the motor seems to spin over really freely as if no thing to compress in the cylinders.