Steering Column Lever

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
1970 C3 4 Speed Manual.
I’ve had to remove the steering column to get to the instrument panel. On the forward end of the column there is a lever (see attached).
After a bit of research it looks like this lever attaches to a teleflex cable from an auto box. I think it would prevent you removing the ignition key unless you are in “park” or something.
As I have a manual box this lever is redundant. My concern is that as it’s free to move about, ie it’s not connect to a cable, will it cause any problems? Am I likely to be in a position where I can’t remove the ign key, or worse?

Attachments

• 146F1BC7-B48E-492B-9453-4FA886114915.jpeg
    146F1BC7-B48E-492B-9453-4FA886114915.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 9

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
That has the cable to the reverse position to lock the column
Even on a manual gearbox?
I can see the bracket that the outer cable would attach to if I had one. With the lever free to move around do you think there is a possibility the column could lock while driving?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
On 1969 through 1976 Corvette columns there is a lever on the lower end of the steering column (out under the hood, just under the brake booster.)
It is connected to a cable that attaches to the transmission.

On cars with automatic transmissions, the cable pushes the column lever to the full Up position when the transmission is shifted into Park.
With manual transmissions, it pushes the column lever full Up when the transmission is shifted into Reverse.

I do not see that for manual as for locking ign switch to get key out

38130-76-vette.jpg

Also, I attached below a PDF on taking steering column on/off and repair,
this should help you on this

Attachments

• 70sc.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
Thanks very much for the info TeamZR1, very helpful. I have the "Standard" non tilting/telescoping steering column and have downloaded the relevant papers. I'm a little confused but I think that when the car is placed into reverse it unlocks the key so it can be removed, and from '76 onwards there's a button in front of the ign switch that releases the key?

It looks like my C3 came without a Back Drive Cable for some reason. This may in some way explain why the ignition switch doesn't need a key to start the engine!!! A new ignition switch and set of keys came with the car but I need to check they are ok for the Standard column.

Will it be easy to get a back drive cable?

Once again, thanks for your help. I only started this to fix the odometer!!!!!!