Steering

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi All
I have a tiny but annoying bit of slack in my power steering. All the joints etc were renewed during the rebuild, and the control valve given a thorough overhaul. The steering box is original and has no adjustment left. So my winter project this year is to address the steering. I seem to have three choices.
Overhaul existing box with new innards,
Go rack and pinion
Fit a borgeson box
The rack and pinion looks to be pretty good, but it is like the current system very low down.
Has anyone had experience of the borgeson system?

Delb

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Check the safety column hasn’t failed. Have you followed the correct adjustment procedure. There’s two adjustments

Last edited:

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi All
I have a tiny but annoying bit of slack in my power steering. All the joints etc were renewed during the rebuild, and the control valve given a thorough overhaul. The steering box is original and has no adjustment left. So my winter project this year is to address the steering. I seem to have three choices.
Overhaul existing box with new innards,
Go rack and pinion
Fit a borgeson box
The rack and pinion looks to be pretty good, but it is like the current system very low down.
Has anyone had experience of the borgeson system?

Delb
Mine was very similar. I opted for the Borgeson system and its great, very precise. I got mine from CK, very reasonable compared with importing myself. He'll also give you a few handy tips if you buy from him. Rack and Pinion was an option but now getting expensive due to the $ and £.

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Is yours the telescopic steering column? From what I have read, you have to reduce the length by 2 1/2 inches by collapsing the system which seems a bit weird to me. Also will it run off existing pump?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Is yours the telescopic steering column? From what I have read, you have to reduce the length by 2 1/2 inches by collapsing the system which seems a bit weird to me. Also will it run off existing pump?
Yes it is, dont believe everything you read and yes mine is standard albeit new PS pump

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Great
Thanks for that. Did you have to modify the steering column or was it a straight bolt in job

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
A Borgeson box is definitely on my to do list when time and money permit.
Another plus point for the Borgeson is that it has a faster ratio of 12.7 compared to the stock unit’s 16.1. That will make the steering much more responsive. They’re a good upgrade without getting too far away from the cars original equipment.
Rebuilding an existing worn steering box might improve it, or it might still not be completely right after all the effort. The guys in the ‘States that do machine-shop rebuilds sometimes weld on metal and re grind to get the tolerances correct.