Stiff locks

V8Adam

Busy user
Hi everybody,
I have just purchased a 1981 Corvette. It has some various issues that I am prioritising.

One of the most pressing are the very stiff locks. It is virtually impossible to lock or unlock the passenger door from the outside. The driver door is a little better but not by much. I have sprayed some lithium grease around the latch and in the lock which helped a little but not much.

Is this a normal issue on these cars? Is there a particular fix or shall I take off the door cars and see what is going on in there?

Adam

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I think you’ll probably have to take the door card off. I don’t think you stand much chance of getting any penetrant near the locking lever from outside. It’s really easy to get to with the card off.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi everybody,
I have just purchased a 1981 Corvette. It has some various issues that I am prioritising.

One of the most pressing are the very stiff locks. It is virtually impossible to lock or unlock the passenger door from the outside. The driver door is a little better but not by much. I have sprayed some lithium grease around the latch and in the lock which helped a little but not much.

Is this a normal issue on these cars? Is there a particular fix or shall I take off the door cars and see what is going on in there?

Adam
I had this problem with my 1980 C3 . It got to the point I was worried about snapping the key off . I ended up buying new lock cylinders and keys that were readily available in UK . I also replaced the recessed push down handles due to wear in the mechanisms and pitted chrome finish . I real fiidly job but well worth it .

V8Adam

Busy user
Yeah I have exactly the same thought Chuffer, those US keys are so thin!

Sorry Corvette, I didn't mean to break any rules. Happy to change it if any mods want me to.

johng

CCCUK Member
My locks couldn't be opened from outside when I got my car. I took both locks out of the doors, cleaned and lubricated them and the driver's door is not too stiff now, but the passenger side is still a bit stiff. Since I've got power door locks and they work really well, I'm thinking of fitting a keyless entry if I can figure out how to wire it!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have disabled the power locks on my 1980 as the drivers door one had the motor drive break and couldn`t be arsed to spend money on a new unit and go through the faff of fitting it . I know that might offend some peoples idea of originality but so much else on the car is un-original it hardly matters .

V8Adam

Busy user
My power locks do not seem to work at all but I've had no time to try stuff out. Really appreciate your input guys.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My power locks do not seem to work at all but I've had no time to try stuff out. Really appreciate your input guys.
Are they toatally dead ? ie no power to them , or make a noise but do not operate the locks . Need more detail to try and help . Join the club and you will be able access more info.

V8Adam

Busy user
I'm not sure at this point, I will investigate. I have only had her 3 days, hectic with work and it's winter in the UK lol!

Last triumph

Well-known user
Welcome to '81 ownership - I imported mine in June and love it to bits.
My door handles were stiff, but a quick strip down and lubrication job has them like new again.
For things like stiff locks, if you can get them off and on the bench, I've found a small, cheap, ultrasonic cleaner with some strong degreaser works wonders to give you a blank canvas to re-lubricate.

Last edited:

V8Adam

Busy user
Thanks! That is great advice. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and I agree, it's a brilliant device (although very noisy!). I was amazed on my Buick how many problems could be sorted out with some simple lubrication.

artwork

Regular user
Hi everybody,

Adam
Hi Adam. Can I ask where you purchased from. I’m in the market for my first C3 Corvette and need to research as much as possible.

V8Adam

Busy user
I purchased from Stuart at Carrot Town Garage. What is your budget and what do you want (project, daily driver, show car).

artwork

Regular user
Hi and thanks Adam. Adam. I'm aiming for between £15k and £20k - I can do usual maintenance (Brakes, Service, and some interior work would not put me off) - my off limit is around suspension/steering repairs, paint and obviously major engine itself. I want an automatic - love a T-top 73s or similar I have seen. I hear a lot about the L82 engines being very good but becoming harder to find.

V8Adam

Busy user
Well I am certainly no expert, the guys on here will be able to give you great advice I am sure. But I would say that you should be able to get something really nice for that money. For me, I looked at how solid the car is because if the birdcage or chassis is rotten, as on any car, that costs a fortune to repair and is not worth it. Something with a history is also great as you know what has been done when. If you end up getting something past 1980, you can also do a Carfax to check the mileage and history.

I tried to get a buyers guide book but could not get hold of one. In the end I just watched a lot of YouTube videos on what to look out for which helped a bit.

I ended up spending around 3 to 4 hours inspecting mine and making notes of what I would need to repair/replace.