Suspension upgrade

oldmemberl68

CCCUK Member
Can any one please advice me on a good suspension upgrade using coil overs and removing the rear leaf spring . The car will be used for fast road only
Thanks

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
If you go coklo ers you will have to remove e bothe leaf springs.
Lots on the US forums use Viking coilovers as being entry level.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Many brands/types out there
You will need to decide what rate of springs you want for the front and rears that suit race type and your drive style

Here are some examples :

oldmemberl68

CCCUK Member
Thank you for your help and advice there is lots of options out there
Will i need to modify or disconnect the electric ride control
Thanks again

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If needed to replace to normal shocks, a couple of options to prevent DTCs tripping and controller limiting maximum speed to 80 MPH

Install 10W 10 Ohm wire wound resistors into the shock sensor wire connectors.
Some vendors sell a connector that has the resistor wired in and fool the controller into thinking shocks are present and not tripping the DTCs for them

Or best is going to someone who has a GM Tech-II and program it out with and disconnect the ride control module option

1. Hook a Tech 2 (Driver's footwell), turn the car ON, make sure the module in the left rear storage compartment
(pull back the Velcro lining on the front of the compartment) is plugged in. DO NOT UNPLUG THIS MODULE

2. Now use the Tech 2 to delete the F45 option ( F55 option does not appear on the Tech 2 menu screen -
SO - DELETE THE F45 OPTION

3. Save the new configuration

4. DO NOT TURN THE CAR OFF DO NOT REMOVE THE TECH 2 Go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the GRAY connector
IT IS THE WIDEST ONE - leave the other 1 (F/45) or 2 (F/55) plugged in.

5. Turn off the car but LEAVE THE TECH 2 PLUGGED IN

6. Remove remaining plugs from the module in the rear of the car - Never plug them back in again, if you do the F/45 turns on automatically.

7. Now the moment of TRUTH - Turn the car on and verify that the dreaded - MAX SPEED 80 MPH - is gone.
This message was only present if you had already disconnected the shock sensors. Some people have had to disconnect their battery to allow the computer to reset to remove this message, but I would confirm with the Tech II that the F/45 was actually deleted first and if not reconnect everything and start again with step 1.

8. Unplug the Tech 2 - Get in the car and take it for a ride. Smile as you pass the DREADED 80 MPH.

With these instructions in their hands, even the most inexperienced tech can do this.

Just as an example, if not wanting to use the resistors is buying simulators but crazy priced

Last edited:

B1GSO

CCCUK Member
Contact AST/MOTON suspension UK they offer a three way coil over system for the C6. Click on the link below for more info.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi
Sorry no as I do not sell products
If you go to that vendor I posted above, they are in Florida and see if they can ship to you
or maybe someone here who also visits that state could get what you order and bring back to the UK ?

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
I fitted LG Motorsports coilers to my C5 plus the GM T1 Swaybars made the car handle like a go kart :)

The kit linked below includes LG motorsports swaybars as well as the shocks.

They do other kits with just the coilovers. You might also want to consider doing the suspension bushes at a future point. I upgraded all of mine to polyurethane ones.

1 005.jpgEgg 041.jpg