T roof rattle/clunk On 79 coupe

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
Hi all
Hope you are all well, just took the car out to pick up some groceries and a rattle/ clunk seems to be coming from my passenger t roof,I can’t stop it by pushing upwards on it whilst in motion and when having a look on the drive it all seems nice and snug with no movement!
any one got any ideas please.
Regards Nige and stay safe

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Usual rattle I found was where the locking bolt enters the "B" pillar - the nylon bush wears and hey presto metal on metal

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I had the same rattle on mine at the front on the A Pillar where clamp pin locates . At a certain speed the wind lifted front edge of roof panels to make them `chatter .
The top collar of the nylon bush had gone briitle with age . Still had a slight chatter after after fixing that problem so I glue a rubber washers about 2mm thick of the correct diameter to underside of roof panels where the locking bolt goes through . This acted as a packer that compressed as the clamp pulled tight and stopped the rattle . Don`t use a thicker packer or you could distort the foof panel if you have glass ones like mine and crack it when you clamp it down . Hope this helps . Nowt worse than annoying rattles :mad:

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
I had the same rattle on mine at the front on the A Pillar where clamp pin locates . At a certain speed the wind lifted front edge of roof panels to make them `chatter .
The top collar of the nylon bush had gone briitle with age . Still had a slight chatter after after fixing that problem so I glue a rubber washers about 2mm thick of the correct diameter to underside of roof panels where the locking bolt goes through . This acted as a packer that compressed as the clamp pulled tight and stopped the rattle . Don`t use a thicker packer or you could distort the foof panel if you have glass ones like mine and crack it when you clamp it down . Hope this helps . Nowt worse than annoying rattles :mad:
Excellent info thanksChuffer
Nige