T-Tops

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Hi,
Has anyone got or have the single acrylic top instead of the 2 T-tops fitted ??
Personally like the look of a single top.........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There was only 2 X T-Tops for the entire run of the C3, No factory single top option. There are or were a few aftermarket tops about supplied by the usual suppliers. ie Ecklers, corvette central etc. some of them didn’t fit too well and a lot were fabric.

Biff.bailey

CCCUK Member
Hi,
Has anyone got or have the single acrylic top instead of the 2 T-tops fitted ??
Personally like the look of a single top.........
The Thompson astro top.......I'm seriously considering one for my 78.....there are lots of stories of them leaking though.....(having said that, my own t tops leak like a sieve, even with new rubbers)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve always thought that the T-Top was a great thing, and so did most buyers of corvettes which was the only vehicle to have them until 1976 when others followed. T-Top coupe outsold convertibles by big numbers, and in those days convertibles were cheaper than coupes.
I also liked the one piece panel for the new 1984 corvette , felt more open without the T-bar.
Not sure how easy it would be to store a one piece top in a C3 tho.

Roscobbc

I’ve always thought that the T-Top was a great thing, and so did most buyers of corvettes which was the only vehicle to have them until 1976 when others followed. T-Top coupe outsold convertibles by big numbers, and in those days convertibles were cheaper than coupes.
I also liked the one piece panel for the new 1984 corvette , felt more open without the T-bar.
Not sure how easy it would be to store a one piece top in a C3 tho.
More importantly would you be able to lift a C3 one piece hardtop - can't see there being enough room in car......perhaps on luggage rack?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I bought the fibreglass materials to make my own one-piece t-top replacement. I would use the existing tops in-situ as the former to get the shape. I liked the idea of a lightweight top for security and basic weather protection when parked, so that I could drive the car topless and leave the heavy and bulky tops at home. It would need to be secure for driving home in the wet so that it didn’t fly off and decapitate the public. I haven’t gone ahead yet due to the issue of carrying it on, or in, the car. If placed behind the seats it would interfere with the seat belts. If fitted to my luggage rack then a bit ugly. Otherwise, make it in two pieces for ease of internal storage. Two pieces not as strong, simple, or weatherproof but still lighter and less space consuming than the originals though.
Benefits seem a bit marginal.

Roscobbc

Seem to recall there was a lightweight one piece top on the market 'stateside very similar to what you have described......can't recall who marketed it.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They had a reputation of being a bit cheap and nasty re the fixings and very prone to cracking years ago, probably improved by now tho. Improvements probably makes them heavier however and the lightness was what they were marketed as.