Teammate Bob B. does more testing on launch control & 0-60 MPH

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Teammate Bob B who has a 2022 C8 Z51 does more setting up, and testing launch mode and 0-60 MPH tests

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Update 5/14/23

I have been working with Bob on this but including how a vehicle performs as to the effects of weather and elevation
He was getting 0-60 MPH times of 3.2 seconds but as of today down to flat 3 seconds

WE did that by calculating the corrected Density, which affects how the engine performs
Bob getting 3.2 seconds if we look for the Corrected D/A we see that the time he did those 0-60 MPH runs
even though he lives at about 500 feet elevation, the weather made it as he was at 2,295 feet
This reduced HP by 30

bobda.jpg

Now he waited, and we looked at the hourly weather numbers and say for today that at 7 AM and the corrected D/A was only 600 feet and engine only lost 8 HP and thus 0–60 time 6% quicker of 3 seconds

Now what we want is good weather where the corrected D/A has a minus elevation but will not be easy as he lives in Florida

7am.jpg

bobweather.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Bob ran some more 0-60 MPH tests, looking for a better day when the D/A is not so high
Tests he did yesterday, the corrected D/A was better than the last 2 times but still high
But we see he started with 3.5 sec 0-60 MPH and now down to a flat 3 secs, so good correct D/A would really help
It does not help to do this with those heavy run flat tires with no flex in the side walls

I asked him on next tests, instead of using launch control that launches at 3,400 RPM
is to turn LC off and instead brake torque and see how that does.

I think if he could get better weather, which is hard to do in the heat of Florida, should get down to like a 2.7 0-60 MPH

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I'm sure I'm no fun but TBH I doubt the wisdom of launching DCT car from brake torque. Even with a TQ the process generates a lot of heat in the transmission. With DCT it must give a very hard life to one of the clutches which is asked to "slip" in a high torque situation.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Not sure how any different from the launch control function that sets RPM to 3,500 RPMs
Brake Torque would just allow to use higher RPMs to torque up the drivetrain and overcome those
heavy run flat tires and this is done for less than 1 minute

Brake torquing has been used for both auto and manual trannys

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Well let's just say I won't be at the front of the queue to buy a used car from Bob B.!

Sometimes in this life just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should". :)