The Future Of Corvette Racing at Le Mans

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
With Corvette having already announced their private C8 Z06 GT3 programme, what now for the future of the Factory Corvette Racing Team?

As I see it, there are only two possible options?

1) The ACO allowing factory teams in the 2024 GT3 Class to include the factory Corvette Racing team (surely not given the privateer sales?)

2) A Corvette LMDh prototype? Doubtful with GM having given that to Cadillac and with no hints of any development there.

An interesting interview with Tadge Juechter & Oliver Gavin on Radio Le Mans hinted a BIG Corvette announcement was coming soon....
Anyone have any intel?
ears

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Being GM last year reapplied for the "Grand Sport" trademark
I would not be surprised to see GM announce it real soon with Z06 body, base LT2 engine and hybrid for front
They have been street testing for Corvette and Caddy for a couple of years now

That would fill both IMSA and WEC needs

Then ZR1 based off of the GS, plus dual turbos
Then the Zorra as all electric, no gas engine

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Being GM last year reapplied for the "Grand Sport" trademark
I would not be surprised to see GM announce it real soon with Z06 body, base LT2 engine and hybrid for front
They have been street testing for Corvette and Caddy for a couple of years now

That would fill both IMSA and WEC needs

Then ZR1 based off of the GS, plus dual turbos
Then the Zorra as all electric, no gas engine
Am I reading into that correctly that a 'Zorra' EV would potentially enter the LMDh Prototype Class after all? :unsure:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
When asking GM about the possibility of a second WEC Corvette, Klauser said:
“Probably not, and I would say the main reason being the shipping challenges and how we’re managing that.

“We only have so many chassis that we’re working with, and the IMSA schedule is pretty intense after Le Mans.
“As we’re trying to make sure that everything is where it needs to be, we’re running out of options to do additional things.
“The intention after Le Mans is to finish out with one car in WEC and one car in IMSA, as it’s been for full season.
“You never know when something might change, but I foresee that as not going to happen.”

If Corvette Racing continues in the WEC next year, it will share the grid with the Cadillac LMDh program’s single-car Hypercar effort run by Chip Ganassi Racing.

Klauser views that as a potential opportunity to share some resources between the two different GM racing projects.
“Any efficiency we can find, we’re going to take advantage of,” she said. “We’re still working through all of that.
“I’m sure there will be discussions of ‘does anyone have space in their crate?’ The answer is always no. Like packing a suitcase, you always go to capacity.
“But seeing is there a way to help each other in the way, hospitality and all of those things, how can we do separate brands, one team?

“We’re all going to be flying the General Motors flag, whether you’re Cadillac or Corvette. That’s what we’re getting into now.
“The second half of the year is going to be about really working through what next year looks like and how we can work together.”

Spring, 2022 completion of GM’s Ultium plant as Knoxville, TN just up the interstate from Corvette Bowling Green plant was just announced

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
If Corvette Racing continues in the WEC next year, it will share the grid with the Cadillac LMDh program’s single-car Hypercar effort run by Chip Ganassi Racing.
Nothing really in there giving any meat or opportunity for speculation unfortunately.
The above quote was when LM GTE PRO was still a possibility for 2023 which, as of last Friday, has gone.

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
Le Mans 2023 and indeed FIA WEC season will NOT see Corvette Racing compete as the GTE Pro Class won't be there.

I suspect the best chance of a Corvette C8.R competing would be if Larbre Competition or (another privateer team) entered into the GTE Am Class. This season the factory race team has been based at Larbre's French headquarters for the rounds at Spa, Le Mans and Monza. Possibly in 2023 Larbre could enter one or more C8.R with full factory driver and personnel support.

Regarding IMSA the option could be to carry on in GTD Pro for 2023 (and beyond) with one or possibly 2 cars but from 2024 it would be the new GT3 Z06 variant as the current C8.R is running on a waiver at the moment as it isn't homologated as a GT3 car.