Thoughts on this 1980 project?

johng

CCCUK Member
Looks to be in similar condition to mine when I bought it (actually perhaps a bit better than mine). I paid £7500 for my car, but it's cost me another £7500 to get it how I want it! I don't suppose my car is worth what it's cost me, but I wanted a project and have no intention of ever selling it.
For me the biggest issue would be the state of the birdcage, but that's because my welding is rubbish. It all depends on how much work you want to do (and are capable of doing yourself).

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Looks to be in similar condition to mine when I bought it (actually perhaps a bit better than mine). I paid £7500 for my car, but it's cost me another £7500 to get it how I want it! I don't suppose my car is worth what it's cost me, but I wanted a project and have no intention of ever selling it.
For me the biggest issue would be the state of the birdcage, but that's because my welding is rubbish. It all depends on how much work you want to do (and are capable of doing yourself).
If the chassis and birdcage is good then do you think I could spend less than 3k doing it up? Maybe 4k?

johng

CCCUK Member
Of course you could, but it all depends on what actually needs doing (ie you "need" brakes that work) and what you feel you have to do to keep yourself happy (ie the seats could do with recovering, but don't actually have to be to drive the car safely). Also, it depends a lot on what you are willing/able to do yourself. Labour costs mount up quickly. I spent £3k on getting the car painted and £1.5k on new seat covers, carpets and door card skins, so everything else only came to £3k. Mind you I might have to rebuild the gearbox yet, that's the fun with a 40 year old car, you never know what is going to need fixing next!

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Of course you could, but it all depends on what actually needs doing (ie you "need" brakes that work) and what you feel you have to do to keep yourself happy (ie the seats could do with recovering, but don't actually have to be to drive the car safely). Also, it depends a lot on what you are willing/able to do yourself. Labour costs mount up quickly. I spent £3k on getting the car painted and £1.5k on new seat covers, carpets and door card skins, so everything else only came to £3k. Mind you I might have to rebuild the gearbox yet, that's the fun with a 40 year old car, you never know what is going to need fixing next!
Sounds interesting though! Good thing I'm interested in the mechanical side of these cars. (y)