Tires

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Has anyone recently replaced a full set on their C5? If so what did you go for? Why? Where did you get them & how much?

I have the option magnesium wheels on my C5 & was looking online at replacement tires. The rears look easy to get hold of but the fronts seem to be a little harder to obtain. I was wondering if anyone had been through this process recently & could point me in the right direction.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Replaced mine a couple of years ago. The Pilot Sports I was replacing weren't available in both sizes so after much searching reviews etc I went with Falkens.
Good grippy tyre at a good price - but my are they noisy! So much so that my next winter project after fitting them was to install soundproofing in the arches, trunk, behind the seats etc. It all helped but didn't eliminate the noise. I'd defo go for something else.

benbay001

Busy user
I fitted my Z06 with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

I went for 255/40/r17 on the front rather than the standard 265s as the size seems to be really obscure over here and limited the available (and massively bumped up the price.

I paid £488 for the tyres from oponeo and £50 for fitting locally.
Edit: As for "Why", tbh, i went for the cheapest premium sports tyre i could get.
You can find tyre rolling circumference calculators, to see what difference a slightly different size would have on your speedo and ride height.

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
I fitted my Z06 with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

I went for 255/40/r17 on the front rather than the standard 265s as the size seems to be really obscure over here and limited the available (and massively bumped up the price.

I paid £488 for the tyres from oponeo and £50 for fitting locally.
Edit: As for "Why", tbh, i went for the cheapest premium sports tyre i could get.
You can find tyre rolling circumference calculators, to see what difference a slightly different size would have on your speedo and ride height.
Did you end up with a bit of stretch on the fronts going 255 vs the 265 recommended? You don't happen to have a picture of the fit of the bead you could post (if you don't mind).

Thx

benbay001

Busy user
Did you end up with a bit of stretch on the fronts going 255 vs the 265 recommended? You don't happen to have a picture of the fit of the bead you could post (if you don't mind).

Thx

Ill try later if i can remember.

I live in a flat and my garage is a trek away (and has no lighting).

+ my phone camera focus is broken, so dont hold out hope :)

No notable stretch.

According to google, my new 255 tyre is 10" wide (vs 10.4" stock) and my rim is 9.5" wide so half an inch overlap.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Hi Nigel,

I too went for the RE050As all round but fronts on my '99 are 245/45 17. These are run-flats, but seem very much better that the first gen of RFTs! Gave them considerable challenges on two airfield driving days and they performed really rather well. Not sure how prices compare but are available on Black Circles. Worth checking out this site as you can compare tyres by performance, price, manufacturer and size. Good hunting!

Cheers

Mark

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Hi Nigel,

I too went for the RE050As all round but fronts on my '99 are 245/45 17. These are run-flats, but seem very much better that the first gen of RFTs! Gave them considerable challenges on two airfield driving days and they performed really rather well. Not sure how prices compare but are available on Black Circles. Worth checking out this site as you can compare tyres by performance, price, manufacturer and size. Good hunting!

Cheers

Mark
Thx for that Mark, thats 2 votes for the Bridgestone's looks like I will be doing a bit more targeted research before shelling out.

Yellowshark

Well-known user
I fitted Pilot Sport 3s to the front and as already reported not available for the rear so I fitted Supersports. 4 months later I spent 3 weeks driving around the hills and mountains of Provence. stonkingly brilliant. Just over £600 fitted from Tyres on the Drive

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Back to looking at tires again, I've got the magnesium wheels on the car 245/45/17 fronts & 275/40/18 rears. I've seen Toyo Proxes Sport tires for £435 delivered (not fitted) I think that sounds like a good deal, before I pull the trigger has anyone else got any other suggestions, looking for a blend of quality tire / decent price.

Roscobbc

I'm using 285/40/18's Toyo's on the back of my C3 - keeping my eyes open for best prices for when they need replacement..........not a size easily available now (and if you can find them far more expensive than before) - the point I am getting to is that the fractionally narrower (10mm or less than 1/2 inch) 275/40/18 is very easy to source and much cheaper overall with even cheaper seemingly third world options and of course road legal track day tyres.
£138 for a Toyo