To Paint or Not

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi all, I may have taken leave of my senses but decided to do a complete resto of the interior this includes carpets, full seat restoration with new leather covers and all interior plastics cleaned and sprayed. My question is would you paint the floor pan I know it’s never seen but I’m kinda funny about stuff like that. Also if I did paint is there anything I should or shouldn’t use on it based on it being fibreglass?EA2FE3E9-395B-4ACB-83A9-6787454AD835.jpeg61C42737-A2F6-45DD-8457-918940DF3D61.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
You may not have taken leave of senses, but you probably are about to take leave of the contents of your wallet! Apart from getting the car sprayed, refurbing the interior was easily my biggest expense. Looks like your interior is covered in the same grey "underseal" as mine. I'd imagine you need to be more concerned about getting paint to stick to that than getting it to stick to fibreglass (unless you are thinking of stripping back to bare fibreglass first)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
You may not have taken leave of senses, but you probably are about to take leave of the contents of your wallet! Apart from getting the car sprayed, refurbing the interior was easily my biggest expense. Looks like your interior is covered in the same grey "underseal" as mine. I'd imagine you need to be more concerned about getting paint to stick to that than getting it to stick to fibreglass (unless you are thinking of stripping back to bare fibreglass first)
I think you and James Vette are right, ive hoovered out the bits and cleaned and scrubbed the crap off. Also spoken to Scott at CK and he said the same just maybe matt black the inside of the storage compartments while its all out. I have emptied my wallet several times for all the interior bits now on order. Looking forward to a new fresh interior, the money will soon be forgotten but the interior will be lush to enjoy for years to come. I'll also get the satisfaction of doing it myself, never taken on anything like this before but with You tube and a little help from my friends I reckon it'll turn out alright.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Here`s what I did to my interior . Stripped out all interior plastic trim , cleaned and lightly rubbed down and resprayed . Stripped out carpets , wired brushed all steel floor panels and painted with black Hamerite but left all fibre glass as was apart from good clean . Refurbished storage bins and plastic surrounds and resprayed . Rubbed down and re sprayed seat shells in black vinyl paint to match existing black dash and centre console . Fitted new carpet set , seat belts and full leather seats with 2 inch bolsters . I went for 2 inch instead of 3 inch to reduce wear and scuffing getting in and out of car but still got a good lateral support .

Attachments

• DSCF0100.JPG
    DSCF0100.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0101.JPG
    DSCF0101.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0103.JPG
    DSCF0103.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0107.JPG
    DSCF0107.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0109.JPG
    DSCF0109.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0110.JPG
    DSCF0110.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF3027.JPG
    DSCF3027.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 20

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I re used the foil backed underlay that was under the old carpets . A bit tatty but served a purpose . Not that it makes much difference with straight through exhaust , no cat and Superrtrapp tail pipes !! At least my feet don`t melt so quickly :LOL:

Dazaa

Well-known user
I got rid of the foil stuff altogether, dynamat is thick sound deadening, made a big difference even with my very loud side pipes

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
So what bits have you ordered?
Full carpet set in med saddle, Gm approved carpet mats in black with chevy wings embroidered. seat frames blasted and painted, new seat foam and 100% leather covers, in med saddle, new hinges and push releases. all plastics and interior trims removed for cleaning and spraying. leather matching arm rest pad. Alpine PWD-X5 sub and amp compact unit. Not sure yet but maybe some cool white led courtesy lighting.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I got rid of the foil stuff altogether, dynamat is thick sound deadening, made a big difference even with my very loud side pipes
Looked at the dynamat but decided to blow the £500 on sub and amp set up, i know the 2 go hand in hand but i haven't got any money left :):)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Here`s what I did to my interior . Stripped out all interior plastic trim , cleaned and lightly rubbed down and resprayed . Stripped out carpets , wired brushed all steel floor panels and painted with black Hamerite but left all fibre glass as was apart from good clean . Refurbished storage bins and plastic surrounds and resprayed . Rubbed down and re sprayed seat shells in black vinyl paint to match existing black dash and centre console . Fitted new carpet set , seat belts and full leather seats with 2 inch bolsters . I went for 2 inch instead of 3 inch to reduce wear and scuffing getting in and out of car but still got a good lateral support .
Nice job Chuffer, hopefully we can get together next year when i figure out where all the bits go to put her back together :ROFLMAO::unsure:

johng

CCCUK Member
Are you going to do the seats and trim painting yourself? What are you doing with the door cards? What head unit are you using with the Alpine?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Are you going to do the seats and trim painting yourself? What are you doing with the door cards? What head unit are you using with the Alpine?
Door Cards are in really good condition. I use a spray shop for my work who do loads of work for Lotus so interior safe with them. I’m using a CDE-205 DAB head unit with the sub and amp. 6X9 in the rear and replacement alpine 6X4 in the dash, just pondering on some 4inch in the footwell and bi wiring them to the 6X4 but not sure yet. The rear nearly finished now just waiting on plastics

Attachments

• D7C1B488-110C-4EA2-8467-38D3641F5D69.jpeg
    D7C1B488-110C-4EA2-8467-38D3641F5D69.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A30CC27A-803D-4B31-93D8-6BEA38B804D3.jpeg
    A30CC27A-803D-4B31-93D8-6BEA38B804D3.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
  • F9BBCC06-FE4D-440A-97EC-EA4743DCEAD3.jpeg
    F9BBCC06-FE4D-440A-97EC-EA4743DCEAD3.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 10