Track Day noise limits

helipilot

Regular user
Hi all,
I've imported my C7 Z06 from the USA when I returned last year and want to do some track days. Has anyone done any with a C7 Z06 (or probably a Stingray too volume wise) and can comment on noise limits. What did your car register etc? I don't want to book a track and get there only to not be allowed to drive.I can put it in Stealth mode for the test but wonder if that will be enough and have severe doubts about any drive past limits!
Mark

helipilot

Regular user
I have stealth mode and you should be fine.

I have fitted an Exhaust Controller from Forza Componenti which will allow you to switch from open to closed remotely. The officials will never know ;).
Catalog - Controllers
Do you have a Stingray or ZO6 and do you know what your decibel level was? The track I'm considering for my first one is 100db at 0.5m distance and 4500rpm.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
helipilot - PM " Fishy Dave" - Dave Smitheram. He might give you some answers because he tracks his C6. And has been doing this sort of thing with other vehicles in the past.

helipilot

Regular user
Guys thank you for your comments but i'm really after some C7 owners, who have tracked their cars, to chip in here as the question , maybe badly worded, is more about what your cars were putting out rather than what the tracks were like.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Helipilot said, "the question is more about what your cars were putting out rather than what the tracks were like."

* My car never puts out on a first trackday
* I had no issues at Spa

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
You are right that someone else with a C7 Z06 is best to hear from, but, every time I've been to a track my cars have given a different reading. Although the test should be held at a certain rpm, distance and angle from the exhaust, in reality these three factors change with human error (I can rarely hold exactly the right rpm for example!). Factor in weather, where the test is held (other cars and buildings surrounding), what rev limit you choose to volunteer(!), ambient noise, instrument quality and calibration and how warm the engine is and you'll find quite a variation.

My C6 with Flowmaster back boxes are usually around 97/98db static, but sound pretty quiet on drive by compared to many cars.

I had the pleasure of passenger rides in a C7 Z06 at Austin last year and whilst it sounded great in the car it was pretty quiet compared to most other cars from the grandstands.
This thread may help you: C7 Z06 Track Mode Decibel level on Track Days - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
They are talking about drive by rather than static and Laguna Seca is particularly sensitive to noise.

In the UK your standard exhaust will be no good at some Croft or Bedford trackdays and you will never pass at Thruxton. My best guess is that you will be fine at all other normal trackdays, with Silverstone and sometime Donington being your best bet for a noisy car. Aside from the first three circuits I mentioned above I've not known anyone have a problem with any standard car with a dual mode exhaust, even angry sounding AMG C63. At Castle Combe last year they had a gorgeous sounding V10 Carrera GT flying round and that got under a 98db static test. My Caterham race car passed track day noise limits everywhere except Zolder, but that just required short shifting past the drive by noise meters.

Not sure if any of that helps, hope you get someone with a C7 Z06 to reply shortly. :)