trickle charger?

'66 Sting Ray

CCCUK Member
Hope your cars are wintering well.

I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 trickle charger for my C2. The battery has died a couple of times after a week or so of sitting still. I'm exploring whether the alternator my need some attention, but that's another matter. The car starts happily every time I ask, provided it hasn't been sitting for too long. And it is a new battery.

When I hook up the CTEK, it causes my (albeit aftermarket add) side lights to go on and then off for a second then on again for five seconds or so, and repeat. Is this normal? And how long can I keep that trickle charger on? The whole point is that I wanted it to be able to sit there and be automatically topped up if the battery started dipping.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Charlie

phild

CCCUK Member
I use an Accumate rather than a CTek but they work in the same way. I've never experienced what you describe and never heard of this from friends who use various battery conditioners. If, like mine, its suitable for 6/12 volts just check it is set for 12v and also that the leads are connected the right way round. As for how long, they are designed to 'cycle' the battery and will not overcharge so specifically for long lay ups. I've been leaving mine connected for many months at a time and have done for many years and all is well.

'66 Sting Ray

CCCUK Member
I use an Accumate rather than a CTek but they work in the same way. I've never experienced what you describe and never heard of this from friends who use various battery conditioners. If, like mine, its suitable for 6/12 volts just check it is set for 12v and also that the leads are connected the right way round. As for how long, they are designed to 'cycle' the battery and will not overcharge so specifically for long lay ups. I've been leaving mine connected for many months at a time and have done for many years and all is well.
Thank you very much. I left it on overnight and it didn't blow up so I think I'm good. Although it is still turning on the running lights from time to time for some reason.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thank you very much. I left it on overnight and it didn't blow up so I think I'm good. Although it is still turning on the running lights from time to time for some reason.
That sounds like an electrical fault in the lighting circuit rather than an issue with CTEK .

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
hi i hope you have resolved the issue but if not im an electronics engineer and have several vehicles using C-Tek and as Chuffer just said there is no way that the charger is the cause of running lights coming on. rather that you have a fault that they are coming on and flattening your battery.

62 C1

CCCUK Member
Have you go an alarm on the car and if so are the five flashes similar to the triggered alarm sequence? If they car battery has been completely drained it can be part of the alarm coming back to life. If you can disable the alarm you can eliminate this possibility.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you go an alarm on the car and if so are the five flashes similar to the triggered alarm sequence? If they car battery has been completely drained it can be part of the alarm coming back to life. If you can disable the alarm you can eliminate this possibility.

Good point about an alarm, but if that is not the question be aware if is quite common as most batteries are made in China or Mexico
add the amount of time a battery is finally installed that weak cells will never charge up

I installed just 4 months ago a new battery in my 1993 Caddy, as the Texas constant 90-100 F deg weather eats batteries,
and car is seldom used and is on a battery tender
I just had to replace that battery that it failed when doing a battery load test, but output was 12.5 volts.

Brought battery to place I bought it from, and they also did a load test and failed, so voltage could measure good but battery cannot handle
the current load when starting.

My 1999 C5 is also seldom driven, and it also lives on a battery tender for 15 years now and the battery is still good.

If in doubt, get battery load tested