ULEZ for C3

Gabs

New user
Hi Everyone
My firs ever post here:) so I'm looking now to buy my first C3 corvette. I live in London and confused about this ULEZ thing as I thought the classics over 40 years old are exampt from ULEZ!? But if I put a reg of a 76 corvette it says charges apply?
Can you beautiful people advise me on this before I buy the car?
Many thanks
Gabs

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Is the owner still paying annual road tax on the car?? The two systems are linked. The owner may not have realised they can apply for road tax exemption - I don't think it's automatic.

Owners of older cars will know more about this than me.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Mines a 79 and registered historic. Put the reg. in the search and it says I would have to pay both the congestion charge and the ULEZ fee.
Glad I don't live in Londono_O

antijam

CCCUK Member
This extract is from the Sunday Times website....
......the ULEZ charge doesn’t apply to any road vehicle that was registered before January 1, 1973. You can also apply for exemption from the ULEZ if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago......

Roscobbc

Mine is 1968 and (like yours) classed as Historic. So £0 RFL and LEZ exempt. Daily congestion charge is still applicable - both the 'old' daily charge and the 'new' zone extension out to N and S Circulars roads (coming-in October). Whilst my vehicle is supposed to be exempt it does show on TFL's website that a ULEZ fee is applicable I haven't taken my car in to the zone yet but have heard someone mention that if you go on line and attempt to pay the fee its at that point it comes up zero charge. Perhaps try that and let us all know what happens?

Roscobbc

From the TFL's website

Historic vehicles​

You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. For example, when the ULEZ launched in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 were eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.
All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).
In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.
If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us before travelling in the zone.

Roscobbc

I have have just gone on the website and 'made out' as if I was going to pay the ULEZ charge - as you'll see below it shows that the car 'meets' or is 'exempt' from the charge. The system will not let me 'tick' the 'greyed out' box below
Have to say that the website is very confusing and contradictory and leaves most people still very unclear about whether to pay or not. I'm led to believe that from this point onwards the system will not process the £15 charge - (I'm not going to test it) The thing will be to use the car and check afterwards on-line that there isn't an outstanding charge and fight it from there is need be.

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 16-57-42 Pay charges.png

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just went on the TFL app to pay my charge for today’s visit into central London on my daily vehicle, then punched in the sting Rays tag and it now shows that it’s ULEZ exempt. Only the congestion charge to pay.

Roscobbc

Never mind about ULEZ, I’ve just got a speeding ticket on Upper Thames Street. wait for it......28mph!
Sorry to hear that - kinda reminds me nor so long ago in one of the 30 mph sections I was so busy trying to keep to the limit that I managed to go through the red lights at Blackfriars Bridge junction (I think?) - but the cameras were not activated. This was not the typical 'jumping' (i.e going through immediately after the change to red and triggering the cameras) - no I went over probably 30 seconds or so after the change and when the traffic from the adjoing road was already moving off. The camera timing must have 'shut-off' timing and I didn't get a ticket amazingly.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I've been looking at ULEZ today having driven the car in London. It's a 2015 but not a Euro car so I was fretting about whether it would be recognised as compliant for ULEZ.

Anyway, TFL's car checker seems to be happy with it so that's good enough for me. Whether this means all post-2006 American imports are automatically exempt (i.e Euro 4 compliant) I don't know.