vin number query

wandwal

Regular user
My C3 Vin no is 1G1AY876BS423112. Ref to Chevrolet Build dates indicate that my car was built in Feb 81. The Vin dates for that month start at 421392 to 424742 . As my number falls within these numbers, it would seem to confirm my car was built in Feb 81 HOWEVER the Plate on the door pillar says CHEVROLET H16, which would seem to indicate my car was built on the 16th March ( 1981) so .......................... when WAS my car built ?????
My MOT is due on April 13th 2020 to expire on April 16 2021. Presuming March 16th 1981 is the actual build date ( i.e 28 days before the 2021 MOT is due) -will I qualify for the 40 year MOT exemption in 2021?

Roscobbc

Approximate birthday 1Z878AS423112: March 23, 1980
Approximate birthday 1G1AY876?BS423112: March 16, 1981
Corvette Central's 'birthday' dating service shows the above details for car with last 5 digits you have given for 1980 car and then 1981car
When writing a dating letter to DVLA to qualify date manufactured we only state the month of manufacture (not actual date as this can vary from differing sources).
DLVA are pedantic about this - as with our own respective birthdays we would class ourselves as being 40 years old once we arrive at that specific date (i.e 16th March 1981)
I believe that DLVA see it as the vehicle is only properly 40 years old 12 months after the 'birthdate'. In that case your car will qualify for 'free' tax from April 2022 - but I could be wrong!

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
FWIW my advice is as follows. Forget actual build date. For anyone with a 1980 car your free tax will start in April (2020).
The DVLA website states : ... you can stop paying for the tax if the vehicle was built before 1st January 1979 (read that as 1980 for 2020).
IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN YOUR CAR WAS BUILT, but it was first registered before 8th January 1979 (now 1980) you can still apply to stop paying the tax.
So check in the top left corner of your V5C to see the date of first registration and go with that.

wandwal

Regular user
FWIW my advice is as follows. Forget actual build date. For anyone with a 1980 car your free tax will start in April (2020).
The DVLA website states : ... you can stop paying for the tax if the vehicle was built before 1st January 1979 (read that as 1980 for 2020).
IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN YOUR CAR WAS BUILT, but it was first registered before 8th January 1979 (now 1980) you can still apply to stop paying the tax.
So check in the top left corner of your V5C to see the date of first registration and go with that.
Thanks fot your replies,guys.
Both replies refer to vehcle TAX exemption and 'AdmiralUK' have produced an excellent leaflet giving guidance on that.
I am more specifically concerned about MOT exemption. The DVLA website refers " to vehicles registered OR manufactured 40 years ago " by that definition as my V5 Form states "Date of First Registration 1st January 1981" It would seem I can complete a Form V112 and declare the vehicle as over 40 years old for MOT purposes at any time after 1st January 2021 or if the actual manufactured date is required - after 16 March 2021.
.All very confusing

Roscobbc

Both replies refer to vehcle TAX exemption and 'AdmiralUK' have produced an excellent leaflet giving guidance on that.
I am more specifically concerned about MOT exemption. The DVLA website refers " to vehicles registered OR manufactured 40 years ago " by that definition as my V5 Form states "Date of First Registration 1st January 1981" It would seem I can complete a Form V112 and declare the vehicle as over 40 years old for MOT purposes at any time after 1st January 2021 or if the actual manufactured date is required - after 16 March 2021.
.All very confusing
I don't think you'll need a proof of manufacture date for MOT exception - merely make a declaration. Mine was 50 years old when the new reg came in force so it was quite obvious that is was over 40 yeas old. AS I noted before DVLA seem to have an odd way of determining the age of a vehicle - all you can to is apply and see what happens.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Once the DVLA change your vehicle status to HISTORIC it becomes automatic that you no longer have to get it MOT'd
It is confusing and the DVLA should clarify the whole situation.
A 1981 year car will be tax and MOT free from April 2021 (under present rules) - but you can apply for this from probably January 2021
The form V112 is only for the Post Office's benefit - I don't think it gets sent to the DVLA - so not terribly important :unsure:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I need to make enquiries with DVLA about my C3 too . I have documentation stating that it was built in December 1979 as a 1980 model year car . I am not sure how the date of registration on VO5 form helps with a 40 year old car that started life on other side of the Atlantic :unsure:.
With regard to MOT`s , there is a caveat about substantially modified cars not being exempt . That may well affect quite a few members and needs looking into carefully as insurance companies will drop you like a hot brick if they can find a loop hole when it comes to a claim . Personally I think MOT exemption is a dumb idea ! For £45 a year you get the peace of mind of an independent inspection that your pride and joy is safe to be on the road . Even the most accomplished DIY mechanic can miss something ! I luckily spotted a fractured weld on a lower control arm mounting bracket on my C3 and got it fixed asap . I chance conversation with another well known club member led him to check his C3`s and shock horror :eek: found the same issue . Total failure could have been catastrophic !

Roscobbc

Chuffer - your points are very sensible and logical and I'm sure most of us will totally agree with you. With regards to a vehicle that has been 'substantially modified' NOT being exempt from the annual MOT test and what 'Substantial' actually means..............without guidance from the DVLA I would say that a 'substantial modification' would relate to significant chassis and suspension changes - i.e 'live' rear-end with new fabricated trailing arms (Ford 9"). Replacement, custom aftermarket chassis or chassis from later Corvette 'marque'. Possibly aftermarket custom rear suspension (.e Sharkbite) or jag rear end.
Items like aftermarket brakes and suspension that still uses factory mounting points (Willwood/Baer/SSBC/etc etc) - modified or replacement engines from same manufacturer (i.e GM or generic aftermarket sources) will be unaffected as will transmissions choices (possibly not Lenco or similar that requires chassis modifications), turbo chargers and supercharger, although a 6/71 sticking out of the hood and obscuring vision will be a different matter I expect...........................

antijam

CCCUK Member
Chuffer - your points are very sensible and logical and I'm sure most of us will totally agree with you. With regards to a vehicle that has been 'substantially modified' NOT being exempt from the annual MOT test and what 'Substantial' actually means..............without guidance from the DVLA I would say that a 'substantial modification' would relate to significant chassis and suspension changes - i.e 'live' rear-end with new fabricated trailing arms (Ford 9"). Replacement, custom aftermarket chassis or chassis from later Corvette 'marque'. Possibly aftermarket custom rear suspension (.e Sharkbite) or jag rear end.
Items like aftermarket brakes and suspension that still uses factory mounting points (Willwood/Baer/SSBC/etc etc) - modified or replacement engines from same manufacturer (i.e GM or generic aftermarket sources) will be unaffected as will transmissions choices (possibly not Lenco or similar that requires chassis modifications), turbo chargers and supercharger, although a 6/71 sticking out of the hood and obscuring vision will be a different matter I expect...........................

The DVLA lists modifications that do not count as 'substantial changes' and therefore allow MoT exemption....

1. changes are made to preserve a vehicle because the original type parts are no longer reasonably available
2. they are changes of a type which can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or within 10 years of the end of production
3. axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance
4. changes were made to vehicles that were previously used as commercial vehicles, and you can prove the changes were made when the vehicle was used commercially

Item 3 has occasioned plenty of debate among Classic Car Clubs. I own a 1963 Daimler SP250 Dart, the last of which were built in 1964. All these cars were originally fitted with cam and lever steering gear. This was heavy, even by the standards of the day, and without very regular maintenance and replacement, became imprecise (shades of the Corvette!). Perhaps more importantly, the steering box was the lowest point on the car and in the event of encountering a road hazard or accident, it could leave the driver sitting at the end of a six foot spear. A common modification has been to fit Rack and Pinion steering which is lightly weighted, more precise and obviates the impact hazard. Most of us consider this a modification that improves both safety and efficiency, and to date the DVLA has not queried exemption of cars with this modification.

If your 'Vette has been modified and the changes improves safety and/or efficiency, this may not automatically exclude it from MoT exemption.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Guys , thanks for your input , it has certainly shed some light on things as I haven`t got round to looking for myself yet . My concern was that my 1980 C3 has a 1985 Camaro IROC - Z engine fitted with carb and inlet manifold upgrades . Would just feel happier with clarification from the powers that be the ivory towers of the DVLA !

Roscobbc

Hi Guys , thanks for your input , it has certainly shed some light on things as I haven`t got round to looking for myself yet . My concern was that my 1980 C3 has a 1985 Camaro IROC - Z engine fitted with carb and inlet manifold upgrades . Would just feel happier with clarification from the powers that be the ivory towers of the DVLA !
It's still a small block Chevy engine - same 'family'......

antijam

CCCUK Member

The list of mods that the DVLA accepts for MoT exemption includes the following...... "Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change."

Roscobbc

So - taking things in line with DVLA guidelines would it allow the use (for example) of a aftermarket Merlin or similar 'stroker' 632 in an up to a '74 Vette (last year of big block) - next question is would the same logic apply to an LS7 (427 cu in) out of a C6 Z06 in a earlier C3 (even though its a 'small block' engine it is from a later GM engine 'family')

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
.All very confusing
I have just sent off my V112, I asked for confirmation of exemption, made a copy and sent the Form recorded (trackable) as aparently we self declare and then do not receive any confirmation of the exemption - so above helps if pulled.