Weird noise , opinions please

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Have you inspected the harmonic balancer - does it run true? is there any visible degradation to it?
I havent got her out since to look further , i would have thought a loose flywheel would have given dodgey engagement of the starter motor ? But cant see why the flywheel would suddenly start to touch rhe inspection plate . 🤔

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I reckon if the flywheel was loose you would know about it, shortly before it disappeared into orbit.
I doubt the flywheel would ever touch the cover plate, but the spigot on the end of the crank could if something flew up from the road and dinged the cover plate. Or it could be something else altogether causing the noise.

Another thought re your vibration issue - A worn pilot bushing can lead to vibration because it allows the clutch friction plate to go off centre and cause an imbalance.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I reckon if the flywheel was loose you would know about it, shortly before it disappeared into orbit.
I doubt the flywheel would ever touch the cover plate, but the spigot on the end of the crank could if something flew up from the road and dinged the cover plate. Or it could be something else altogether causing the noise.

Another thought re your vibration issue - A worn pilot bushing can lead to vibration because it allows the clutch friction plate to go off centre and cause an imbalance.
Ah ! Interesting, thank you, I am off up country this eve and been wintery here so will get starter out and plate off over weekend , hope to get some more ideas then . Thank you

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ah ! Interesting, thank you, I am off up country this eve and been wintery here so will get starter out and plate off over weekend , hope to get some more ideas then . Thank you
Sorry oneball, my mistake , thanks to all you guys 👍
Hi oneball, was going to take starter motor out yesterday but will wait til i can get on a ramp. I did remove all the bolts to the plate and shone a torch up to see if i could see where its touchinig. I put a couple of wedged in between the plate and the bell housing so the bottom was held away a good half an inch, noise still there when i started it up, could it still be scraping higher up would you say from your experiece? Thanks 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
This is the bit that may be touching (flange on rear of crank) so not sure if holding the bottom off will help

26FE4D3F-7ABC-49FE-A024-280BB7ECBFB1.jpeg

(Later engine but almost the same)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This is the bit that may be touching (flange on rear of crank) so not sure if holding the bottom off will help

View attachment 10185

(Later engine but almost the same)
Hi oneball, just posted a new post , I have just realised that the scraping is not there until the motor starts up. Just turning over , it sounds normal, cant work it out , any thoughts ? Thank you 👍