What headlights do I need to purchase to convert '81 to UK spec?

Last triumph

Well-known user
As per the title, just imported my '81 and need to convert the lighting, which I guess will require replacement RHD headlights.

Could someone please give me a steer as to what I need to purchase and from where?

Thanks!

Roscobbc

5 3/4" right hand dip set - as used in 70's Brit cars like Capri, Rover 3500 - one pair will be main beam only - the other main/dip. Its worth spending a bit more money for EU legal Xenon or perhaps even LED lamps - they really make a difference.

Last triumph

Well-known user
5 3/4" right hand dip set - as used in 70's Brit cars like Capri, Rover 3500 - one pair will be main beam only - the other main/dip. Its worth spending a bit more money for EU legal Xenon or perhaps even LED lamps - they really make a difference.
Thanks - do I need to replace the inner main beam ones or just the outer dip/main pair? i.e can the original US inner main beam only pair just be realigned?
Sorry for all the questions, but I guess I'll need side lights, too....? And switching for these?

Or.... given that.it's MOT exempt and won't be driven at night (from a needing good lights perspective), do I just sort the indicators and rear lights out and leave it at that?

Roscobbc

Invariably the headlamps themselves are shot too so, yes perhaps replace. Remember that USA spec' laps (other than l/h dip) may be sealed beam and irrespective of whether they are useable in UK or may be something pathetic like 42 watts. Are sidelights white? if amber do you also have white side-markers? - if so and you can argue that these are visible from the front of the car perhaps leave it?.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Invariably the headlamps themselves are shot too so, yes perhaps replace. Remember that USA spec' laps (other than l/h dip) may be sealed beam and irrespective of whether they are useable in UK or may be something pathetic like 42 watts. Are sidelights white? if amber do you also have white side-markers? - if so and you can argue that these are visible from the front of the car perhaps leave it?.
Fair point on the age/performance - so just any generic 5.75" quad set? Do they just direct fit or are there physical / wiring mods needed?

And yes, I have the split white/amber front 'side/marker' lights - do these have single or twin bulbs, as I guess they'd need to operate independently of each other in their individual functions of side light and side indicator repeater?

Any write ups how-tos on this subject? I have the one that covers the rear lights, but the element regarding the front is non-specific given what I gather are various options.

Roscobbc

You might find the septic's over on the CF Forum doing something similar with BMW type 'Angel Eye' led encircled side/headlights.

Last triumph

Well-known user
You might find the septic's over on the CF Forum doing something similar with BMW type 'Angel Eye' led encircled side/headlights.

I cam imagine that's pretty cool, but I'm wanting to keep the car as absolutely bone stock as I can whilst remaining within the spirit of UK law, construction and use regs - i.e if I don't have to MOT it, what is the bare minimum mods required to keep insurance and any traffic police happy.

Roscobbc

Convert back-up lights with amber bulb for rear indicators (take a switch line from brake pedal switch. Change dip pattern of headlights. If you use a headlamp with sidelight bulb the headlight flaps will need to be in the 'up' position at night. Front indicator must flash amber. You can use dual filament bulbs with one filament for amber 'running' light and the other for indicator - but you must show a white side light to the front of the vehicle.

richie500

CCCUK Member
I cam imagine that's pretty cool, but I'm wanting to keep the car as absolutely bone stock as I can whilst remaining within the spirit of UK law, construction and use regs - i.e if I don't have to MOT it, what is the bare minimum mods required to keep insurance and any traffic police happy.
I might be wrong, but when i imported my car thro Ship my Car, it had to be MOT'd even tho it was registered as a historic vehicle. Anyone spread some light as I was perplexed when they did it...

Last triumph

Well-known user
I might be wrong, but when i imported my car thro Ship my Car, it had to be MOT'd even tho it was registered as a historic vehicle. Anyone spread some light as I was perplexed when they did it..
From what I've read through internet searching, I don't believe an initial MOT is required if over 40 years old but I guess we'll find out soon enough as I'll be posting off the paperwork toDVLA as soon as the original title and Bill of Sale arrives from the shippers, expected early next week.

I tried to call DVLA to clarify, but their answer service advised of industrial action and that nobody would be able to help be, directing me to their online chat (no)help line, which timed out after waiting for the next available agent after 1 hour.

I'll just post if off and see what happens.

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
mine are Ford Capri as my brother had a few in the past and had a spare set