Wheel play’

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, got the 72 up in the air looking for cause of driveline clunk. Checked for movement in all the uj’s , seem good. Checked snubber rubber at front of diff, lower one looks new , i cant see top one , i guess its tucked down inside bracket? I found numerous loose nuts and bolts that needed tightening a bit.
i did notice with the wheels hanging free that all four have a little movement when rocked at 12 and six but not at 9 and 3, is this a vette thing or are there castellated nuts to take up the play in the ïtwheel bearings? I have a definate tailshaft bush issue with lstterslmovement. And leaky oil seal. The clunk is at the back, any suggestions welcome. 👍

Attachments

• AB58A7AD-1C04-44D6-97A7-341E9D096045.jpeg
    AB58A7AD-1C04-44D6-97A7-341E9D096045.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 4

antijam

CCCUK Member
Your movement at the rear could well be the 'classic' C2/C3 problem of wear in the diff side yokes. When you rock the wheel can you see the yoke moving in and out of the diff housing?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Your movement at the rear could well be the 'classic' C2/C3 problem of wear in the diff side yokes. When you rock the wheel can you see the yoke moving in and out of the diff housing?
Thanks antijam, I will go out and have a closer look, tho it did feel more at the wheel end to me and the fronts do the same 🤔👍

johng

CCCUK Member
The front wheel bearings are adjustable, but the rears are not (unless you think removing the bearings, fitting new ones on the special tool to find the appropriate thickness of shims and then rebuilding the hubs, counts as adjustment!)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The front wheel bearings are adjustable, but the rears are not (unless you think removing the bearings, fitting new ones on the special tool to find the appropriate thickness of shims and then rebuilding the hubs, counts as adjustment!)
Thanks johng, the rear bearings and traiing arms were all stripped and rebuilt when it was restored in the us, car only had 4k miles since then over last 9 years so hoping its not that already. Will keep looking while its in the air, found a rattly rear brake disk shield i need to tighten, all looks still excellent underneath since the body off except for the rear seal bush and seal , some oil from the two muncie shift levers . Cant say I have found anything to cause the drivetrain clunk yet, except possibly the side to side movement in the tailshaft bush but dont know if that would give that clunk 🤔👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks johng, the rear bearings and traiing arms were all stripped and rebuilt when it was restored in the us, car only had 4k miles since then over last 9 years so hoping its not that already. Will keep looking while its in the air, found a rattly rear brake disk shield i need to tighten, all looks still excellent underneath since the body off except for the rear seal bush and seal , some oil from the two muncie shift levers . Cant say I have found anything to cause the drivetrain clunk yet, except possibly the side to side movement in the tailshaft bush but dont know if that would give that clunk 🤔👍
The adjustable front bearings are done up to 14 ft lbs torque if my memory is correct then back them off a tad to get the split pins in .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The adjustable front bearings are done up to 14 ft lbs torque if my memory is correct then back them off a tad to get the split pins in .
Thanks all, the front ones pulled up nicely with re grease and all play gone. Fitted the diff rubbers after speaking to Gavin at EMC and clunk seems much better even tho the rubbers were not in a terrible state But just a bit deformed.
great service as usual from gavin, especially as he took the trouble , (on a sunday ) to message me after seeing my query on the forum.
cant recommend him highly enough, always so generous with his time and knowledge. 👍