Where to find this oil pan gasket?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Whilst replacing the oil pan gasket on the '81. I ordered what I thought to be the correct seal, the one that comes up on both Fel-Pro and the various vendors parts lists, however, it comes with a universal dip stick both sides moulding, which means there is insufficient sealing surface on the side without the dip stick - see below....

HIZSj8k.jpg

7FgLJU2.jpg

As you can see, only a few millimeters of mating surface actually mate with the seal - I can't believe they even manufacturer this to be honest as it can't be fit for purpose and at best must rely on luck to seal on a good day.

Anyway, after much research, the gasket I need for an '81 with passenger side dipstick is Fel-Pro 1881, as below....

But can I find one in the UK?

I've tried Claremont, Corvette Kingdom, US Automotive, TopSpeed, eBay and Amazon so far...... any other suggestions of where I might find what surely is a popular gasket? I mean it's not like '80-'85 SBCs are a rare beast?

Thanks in advance!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Whilst replacing the oil pan gasket on the '81. I ordered what I thought to be the correct seal, the one that comes up on both Fel-Pro and the various vendors parts lists, however, it comes with a universal dip stick both sides moulding, which means there is insufficient sealing surface on the side without the dip stick - see below....

HIZSj8k.jpg

7FgLJU2.jpg

As you can see, only a few millimeters of mating surface actually mate with the seal - I can't believe they even manufacturer this to be honest as it can't be fit for purpose and at best must rely on luck to seal on a good day.

Anyway, after much research, the gasket I need for an '81 with passenger side dipstick is Fel-Pro 1881, as below....

But can I find one in the UK?

I've tried Claremont, Corvette Kingdom, US Automotive, TopSpeed, eBay and Amazon so far...... any other suggestions of where I might find what surely is a popular gasket? I mean it's not like '80-'85 SBCs are a rare beast?

Thanks in advance!
Try John Woolfe Racing.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Real Steel
John Wolfe
Roadcraft
Top speed Automotive

Or just get from the states.

Thanks, will try those vendors, although sadly Top Speed don't have any.

Only problem with the States is for just one or two items, the postage kills it and I kind of wanted to get it all buttoned up this weekend.

Roscobbc

I don't like the rubber/plastic metal cored one piece gaskets. Yes, theoretically they should make life easier (being one piece) OK so I'm using it on a big block Vette so space/access etc is more limited than a small block. Anyway I used one and it failed to seal - a leak from the front end was the result.
One of our members had a similar leak on his small block engine/oil pan using a one piece gasket.
I had to strip it all down again - this time I used a 4 piece gasket set - so separate front/rear seals and two cork gaskets for the side rails. TBH it was less of a faff than the one piece unit which once RTV was applied squirmed all over the place whereas the 4 piece conversely was far easier to align the different parts of the gasket set.
Have you tried Customville for gaskets?

Last triumph

Well-known user
I don't like the rubber/plastic metal cored one piece gaskets. Yes, theoretically they should make life easier (being one piece) OK so I'm using it on a big block Vette so space/access etc is more limited than a small block. Anyway I used one and it failed to seal - a leak from the front end was the result.
One of our members had a similar leak on his small block engine/oil pan using a one piece gasket.
I had to strip it all down again - this time I used a 4 piece gasket set - so separate front/rear seals and two cork gaskets for the side rails. TBH it was less of a faff than the one piece unit which once RTV was applied squirmed all over the place whereas the 4 piece conversely was far easier to align the different parts of the gasket set.
Have you tried Customville for gaskets?
They don't appear to carry them, at least on their website.

During my research, I found quite a few threads on various forums relating to leaky 1 piece gaskets and they tended to be traced to using the wrong thickness front seal area. Apparently there are thick and thin front seals and often the wrong seal can be inadvertently fitted, causing leaks. I'm not saying that was the case with yours or others, this is far from my area of expertise just what I'd read on my travels.

OilPanSealMeasure_zps40498278.jpg