Which gear?

c4tree

CCCUK Member
I only ever seem to drive around in "D" on my automatic gearbox of my 94. I guess "OD" is for overtaking acceleration?.
And does anyone use "1" or "2" for any kind of driving? (maybe burnouts or something!)
Obviously i also use "R" and "P".

thanks.......

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Ooops. have you found you're using a lot of petrol? That's because in D you are only using 3 gears, OD is OverDrive, essentially 4th gear. The usual way to drive is to select OD, then drive, the transmission will change up and down thru all the gears as required.
You can manually shift in the lower gears if you wish, though not really necessary. Be carefull when you do though, years ago on my 79 C3 I manualy slected 2nd and in a 'red mist' acceleration thrashing away, forgot to change up, result a massive valve bounce and a very bent valve, leading to a total top end rebuild and regrind of seating and new set of valves!

Redlevel

Well-known user
I only ever seem to drive around in "D" on my automatic gearbox of my 94. I guess "OD" is for overtaking acceleration?.
And does anyone use "1" or "2" for any kind of driving? (maybe burnouts or something!)
Obviously i also use "R" and "P".

thanks.......
Seriously? 😲
OD is your top gear, why not use it as you would in a manual car and enjoy 30+mpg on those long trips..
Stick it in OD and leave it there except when you are climbing very steep hills at slow speeds like I had to in the Lakes when stuck behind some Tour De France wannabees! 👍

Last edited: