Attachments

• 20230227_110127.jpg
    20230227_110127.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230227_110022.jpg
    20230227_110022.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 38

Roscobbc

Seem to recall that one of the 'known' suppliers of poly bushes (as used on Vettes') got a lot of bad publicity for bushes breaking-up like this.....can't recall company name.......perhaps this is an example?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Eek! That's not good. I'm always in two minds over whether to use poly bushes or rubber ones. Seen a lot of bad stuff recently about poly bushes dying just like that. Concerns me as some of my bushes a few years back were replaced with poly ones.

Roscobbc

Eek! That's not good. I'm always in two minds over whether to use poly bushes or rubber ones. Seen a lot of bad stuff recently about poly bushes dying just like that. Concerns me as some of my bushes a few years back were replaced with poly ones.
Capt. - there was one specific brank of Poly bush that have all the issues........not sure if it even exists now......check back about 5 years plus on USA forums.......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Capt. - there was one specific brank of Poly bush that have all the issues........not sure if it even exists now......check back about 5 years plus on USA forums.......
That's what concerns me as I had mine done about 5 years back. They are "Energy Suspension" poly bushes. Fingers crossed they aren't the bad ones, but they still seem to be around now.

Roscobbc

I think that my poly engine mounts are the same brand.......been on the car since I dropped the new engine in. Been fine (unlike the unbranded then new stock mounts......one lasted about 100 yards!)

Emc

Supporting vendor
I am seeing this more and more often, not just just trailing arms but everywhere where there is a bushing

johng

CCCUK Member
Energy Suspension are one of the brands that "people" reckon are okay. I hope they are right as that's what I fitted. Certainly no problems yet, but it's only been on the road a couple of years. On the other hand if they do go, they are much easier to replace than rubber ones :)

Roscobbc

Looked back on CF forum in the 'states - it seems the issues with disintegrating poly bushes was a 'thing' about 7 or 8 years ago.
A few people had this occur perhaps a few years or so after purchase and installation - even bushes purchased and unused a few year were later showing signs of failure.
Not going to mention suppliers noted as it apeared the items were sourced from China and therefore reasonable to presume the Chinese manufacturers supplied multiple outlets in the 'States with effectively the same product.
I think its also reasonable to presume that poly bushes purchased in the last 5 or 6 years should be fine (unless old stock) - best advice for anyone with polybushes installed between 2005 and perhaps 2015 is to thoroughly inspect their vehicles for any deterioration of bushes.

Emc

Supporting vendor
A few people had this occur perhaps a few years or so after purchase and installation - even bushes purchased and unused a few year were later showing signs of failure.
I have a new old stock set of adjustable rear strut rods with poly bushes, the bushes are failing as we speak.

Emc

Supporting vendor

Attachments

• 16776624863502804867847809688745.jpg
    16776624863502804867847809688745.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 16776625042465757830293741669931.jpg
    16776625042465757830293741669931.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 16776625184204952982951875840615.jpg
    16776625184204952982951875840615.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 19

johng

CCCUK Member
That's pretty shocking. I can't make out from the photos, but are all 4 bushes the same, or do some look okay? Any idea who made them?

Roscobbc

I think you've said it all Gavin. The items you've shown (as you said) are 'new' old stock.........much like items bought from private punters at shows (like this coming Sunday's NSRA swap meet) it will be difficult to determine where and when they were manufactured and originally supplied........perhaps taking them back to the issues 'stateside' that were highlighted 15 years or so ago.
Here you go still in an unopened bag

All the same, polyurethane bushes are just dangerous
Poly bushes like the ones you have shown us ARE certainly dangerous IF they had been installed on your car - fortunately the ones you have shown us were not installed........but I'm sure many CCCUK members will testify that the poly bushes they have installed (whether recently - or perhaps a number of years ago) and will testify to be in perfectly good order.
Unfortunately (and perhaps unlike many other service or replacement items supplied by car and/or OEM manufacturers) there is not always a 'recall' service available where details of product issues or failures are made publicly available by the supplier.
I am reminded of the stainless steel braiding covered rubber fuel tubing that was being supplied, probably about the same time as these poly bushes. Many people were using this tubing as part of an engine 'dress-up'. As I recall the tubing didn't have any USA/UK/EU marked standards and would often perish after only a few months use (worsened by fuel with ethanol content) - the stainless braiding 'hid' the perished rubber tubing and made the consequencial leaks all but invisible......only the smell and pools of gas collecting on top of the inlet manifold gave a clue.......and there were reports of fires..........
Thanks Gavin for high-lighting this potential issue with poly bushes.
CAN I URGE ALL CCCUK MEMBERS TO INSPECT TRAILING ARM BUSHES AND OTHER SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, ENGINE MOUNTS ETC FOR INDICATIONS OF DEGRADED POLYURATHANE BUSHES AND COMPONENTS (IF INSTALLED)

Reactions: Emc

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Here you go still in an unopened bag
Blimey, that’s quite a spectacular achievement by someone to manufacture a “performance” part that falls to pieces just sitting on the shelf!
Technically, Poly bushes should outperform rubber in many respects…… but obviously only if their material is to the correct specification.
I‘ve got “Energy” poly bushes in every location on my car, installed over twelve years ago, and with no problems at all. I had much of the suspension apart recently for spring changes and the bushes all look and feel exactly the same as when they went in. There was no need to change them, so proof they can last.
There will be some quite noticeable changes to the feel of the car, or some clonking if a bush is on its way out, be it poly or rubber, and an MOT should pick it up if the driver doesn’t anyway.