Winter servicing..

Redlevel

Well-known user
Whilst awaiting another autobox filter and gasket to arrive, I checked out my brakes and the pads look good, as are the discs, so all I did was to re-lube the caliper sliding pillars with copper grease. Simple stuff but important to good braking.
Parking brake is still good (such as it is!).
Suspensionwise, I greased the various joints and also the four halfshaft, uj's. Maybe do the rubber bushes next year, but they look ok. My KYB dampers that I fitted a while back (wrapped in clear weatherproof tape) are looking fine.
Steeringwise, its time for my 24month steering fluid change. This is important to keep fresh as failure to do this can affect the integrity of the seals etc from and to the pump. Easily checked by the colour of the fluid as it should never be grey or black, only red like ATF/power steering fluid should be.
My process is to suck out all the old fluid, refill with cheap ATF, run the motor and repeat the process until I'm happy it looks cleaner. Lastly refilling with Lucasoil steering stop leak/conditioner 100% as this gives great feel and quietness to the system being like ATF, but a tad thicker..
Its what winter is for!! Just need that autobox filter to arrive and to think up a good way to press it into the bottom of the autobox safely!

Redlevel

Well-known user
Have you got the car on a lift to do the box?
No, only got a collection of jacks, stands and ramps to get access to what I need to. 20200908_161449.jpg
I'm working outside under my carport as this will take a while and despite having a 20x10 garage, I still cant ramp the car and close the garage door.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve been putting off doing an ATF change on my Merc as I’ll have to do it on the drive too. Last time I did one it just turned into an oil bath.

Redlevel

Well-known user
I’ve been putting off doing an ATF change on my Merc as I’ll have to do it on the drive too. Last time I did one it just turned into an oil bath.
I used one of those cheap under bed storage boxes to catch the oil.
I loosened the sump gradually from one end and let it drip and pour gradually into the box as I continued to loosen the bolts until most of it had poured out and I could remove the pan. Had a few drips escape but it was all good. 👍
I'm doing this under the car on Halfords ramps. Just about enough room to work.. 🤔

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
Fortunately, I had a drain plug fitted when I had my automatic gearbox rebuilt, but I was considering one of these

Apparently, Mercedes use an oil extractor when servicing car, rather than the sump plug.

To make the oil extraction easier on my other car, anybody got any experience in using one.

dm575

Regular user
I've used one of these for all of my oil changes, makes things much easier. My 300C has a Merc 3.0 V6 and it seems you remove more oil using this than by removing the drain plug.

I've done both a 700R4 and 4L60E fluid swap but removed the pan to replace filter. I think I'll do another fluid swap this summer using the pump as its never a full drain/replace unless you purge flush, will help keep it fresh :)