Wiper door clank

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All , my wiper door opens with a resounding clank. It looks like a part of the hinging linkage mechanism is hitting the bulkhead or birdcage metal below the screen. It has about a 4mm clearance on the passenger side. Does anyone know which bit I should adjust to stop this. ? Thank you👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All , my wiper door opens with a resounding clank. It looks like a part of the hinging linkage mechanism is hitting the bulkhead or birdcage metal below the screen. It has about a 4mm clearance on the passenger side. Does anyone know which bit I should adjust to stop this. ? Thank you👍
Sorry it is the drivers side that clanks as it needs a bit of clearance like the passenger side has. 👍

TimP

CCCUK Member
Can you see what part of the mechanism is making the noise? The main adjustments I can think of with the wiper mechanism can be seen in the pics below.
First is the threaded shaft that goes from the actuator to the transverse bar that operates the linkages at each end. It gives some control over the start and end points of the movement. Adjustment is by rotating the hexagonal collar on the left of the left hand picture - it's held tight by a locknut. This however would make adjustment for the whole mechanism not just the drivers side.

18-Wiper Actuator Linkage-small.JPG 2-Wiper actuator B4.JPG

The other adjustment screw is on the door itself but I think that controls the height of the door when closed.
Wiper before disassembly.JPG

Some adjustment is also available by adding U-shaped shims in between the actuator and its mounting bracket (seen here on my bench).
Wiper actuator new seal.JPG

Just a thought - is the spring seized on the transverse rod? I think this is supposed to cushion the movement when the wiper door is fully open. There is a plastic bush that goes between the transverse rod and the spring which can seize up and prevent the spring from doing it's job. The mechanism would still make contact with the whatever it is hitting but probably a little softer.
11-Wiper actuator lever after.JPG 10-Wiper spring mech B4.JPG

Does the wiper door sit correctly when closed?

Can you see which part of the mechanism is hitting the birdcage?
8-Wiper 5 bar link trial fit.JPG

My wiper linkage isn't in the car at the moment so I can't experiment in situ but does that help? I might have missed something really obvious.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Can you see what part of the mechanism is making the noise? The main adjustments I can think of with the wiper mechanism can be seen in the pics below.
First is the threaded shaft that goes from the actuator to the transverse bar that operates the linkages at each end. It gives some control over the start and end points of the movement. Adjustment is by rotating the hexagonal collar on the left of the left hand picture - it's held tight by a locknut. This however would make adjustment for the whole mechanism not just the drivers side.

View attachment 9897 View attachment 9899

The other adjustment screw is on the door itself but I think that controls the height of the door when closed.
View attachment 9900

Some adjustment is also available by adding U-shaped shims in between the actuator and its mounting bracket (seen here on my bench).
View attachment 9901

Just a thought - is the spring seized on the transverse rod? I think this is supposed to cushion the movement when the wiper door is fully open. There is a plastic bush that goes between the transverse rod and the spring which can seize up and prevent the spring from doing it's job. The mechanism would still make contact with the whatever it is hitting but probably a little softer.
View attachment 9903 View attachment 9902

View attachment 9904

My wiper linkage isn't in the car at the moment so I can't experiment in situ but does that help? I might have missed something really obvious.

View attachment 9897 View attachment 9899

View attachment 9900

View attachment 9901

View attachment 9903 View attachment 9902

View attachment 9904

hi Tim, great pics and helpful advice. It seems to be the lower pivot on the drivers side. If i overide the door to keep it open I can move the door slightly and make the clank as the mechanism touches the bulkhead.
i can slide a cable tie down there as a cushion and the clank goes away. Ican either glue a little piece of rubber there or adust it away a tad. I will check the spring as i have always thought it closes without any restraint or cushioning. I will have another play today. The overall alignment is not 100% flush with all surrounding panels but as corvette alignments go not too bad .😁👍 thank you for your time Tim, will report back.

TimP

CCCUK Member
I have just got the car out and had a look (whilst doing some other things) and the mounting bracket for the wiper mechanism on the bulkhead has some room for adjustment as they are elongated rather than round - that might help with the clearance you need. (see pic below)
Wiper mechanism mounting 1.JPG
That might just do it - depending how it is bolted in now you might be able to lift the wiper mechanism and keep it away from the bulkhead.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have just got the car out and had a look (whilst doing some other things) and the mounting bracket for the wiper mechanism on the bulkhead has some room for adjustment as they are elongated rather than round - that might help with the clearance you need. (see pic below)
View attachment 9905
That might just do it - depending how it is bolted in now you might be able to lift the wiper mechanism and keep it away from the bulkhead.
The door is slight ly higher that the surrounding panels, I will see if i can adjust the height. Also the actual wiper door seems to have two parts, the thinner section looks like it attaches to the main door with a few sping type clips, this bit of the door also rattles, I can put pressure on the panel and stop the rattle, wondered if a smear of silicon sealant on the underside of the panel where each clip grips it may stop the vibration.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hope that adjustment does the trick. The sealant might work - if it doesn't new clips are available from CK part no 333111.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Tim, when the time comes to reinstall your wiper door you may want to break all the fingers on your dominant hand which will help a lot if they 'hinge' both ways.

I did the wiper trough clean up job and by far the biggest job was getting the door back on and realigned.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Yes - I have this to look forward to....:) Probably beats putting the rear trailing arm spindles back in.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
hi Tim, great pics and helpful advice. It seems to be the lower pivot on the drivers side. If i overide the door to keep it open I can move the door slightly and make the clank as the mechanism touches the bulkhead.
i can slide a cable tie down there as a cushion and the clank goes away. Ican either glue a little piece of rubber there or adust it away a tad. I will check the spring as i have always thought it closes without any restraint or cushioning. I will have another play today. The overall alignment is not 100% flush with all surrounding panels but as corvette alignments go not too bad .😁👍 thank you for your time Tim, will report back.
Hi again Tim, had another look today, it looks like the wiper door has moved a tad out of square with the hood, so i am getting a clank on closing on the drivers side as I described and a clank on opening on the passenger side. Am I right in thinking as I saw on a youtube vid that if I loosen the two bolts either side , then I can adjust this, ?

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi Gary, yes on my car there is room for adjustment at each end of the transverse rod where the brackets that hold the link mechanisms bolt (left hand pic - with shouldered nuts) through the bulkhead (but from the other side of this pic).
7-Wiper bracket bronze bush.JPG Wiper mechanism mounting 1.JPG

Hope that works.