72 footwell spaghetti

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Morning all. Had my head in the drivers footwell last eve trying to locate the source of my annoying little buzzy vibration from the clutch pedal. I was surprised at what a mess of wires and cables that area in front of the fuse holder is. Were they all as bad as this from the factory? It just seems so disorganised. A proper birds nest.
Anyway, on a positive note, this buzzy vibrating noise is at varying revs , sometimes on overrun or accelerating and can be stopped by just touching the pedal up or down with my foot. I did notice a thin hard plastic line or cable( there are a couple down there) that was floating around and resting high up on the clutch pedal . Not sure if it is an oil pressure gauge line or what, I have cable tied it out of the way and hopefully when the rain stops I can test drive with a positive result. Any pics of other footwells tidy or messy would be interesting to see how these came out of the factory. TiA👍

Roscobbc

Morning all. Had my head in the drivers footwell last eve trying to locate the source of my annoying little buzzy vibration from the clutch pedal. I was surprised at what a mess of wires and cables that area in front of the fuse holder is. Were they all as bad as this from the factory? It just seems so disorganised. A proper birds nest.
Anyway, on a positive note, this buzzy vibrating noise is at varying revs , sometimes on overrun or accelerating and can be stopped by just touching the pedal up or down with my foot. I did notice a thin hard plastic line or cable( there are a couple down there) that was floating around and resting high up on the clutch pedal . Not sure if it is an oil pressure gauge line or what, I have cable tied it out of the way and hopefully when the rain stops I can test drive with a positive result. Any pics of other footwells tidy or messy would be interesting to see how these came out of the factory. TiA👍
The nylon line is indeed the feed to the oil gauge - (may be small on diameter but if if comes-off or cut will make an amazing mess very quickly!) - most OEM mechanical clutch linkages had some form of 'anti' rattle/buzz spring somewhere on the clutch linkage - perhaps yours is missing?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The nylon line is indeed the feed to the oil gauge - (may be small on diameter but if if comes-off or cut will make an amazing mess very quickly!) - most OEM mechanical clutch linkages had some form of 'anti' rattle/buzz spring somewhere on the clutch linkage - perhaps yours is missing?
Thanks ross, My springs are all in situ and altho I can create a little knock from moving the clutch cross shaft , that is too heavy a noise. The weight of that oil line on the clutch pedal feels about right for the light buzzy noise I was getting. Looking forward to seeing if this has cured it as will improve the driving experience a lot . 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Haven`t got any pics but the wiring on mine is a mess too . The first time I did a headstand under the dash to access the fuse box I couldn`t believe it !! Who the hell thought that was a smart place to put the fuse box ? :mad: I tried to tidy things up a bit but it still looks an explosion in a spaghetti factory !

Roscobbc

Haven`t got any pics but the wiring on mine is a mess too . The first time I did a headstand under the dash to access the fuse box I couldn`t believe it !! Who the hell thought that was a smart place to put the fuse box ? :mad: I tried to tidy things up a bit but it still looks an explosion in a spaghetti factory !
First and golden rule relating to Corvettes (and especially anything vacuum or electrical) is - If it ain't (totally) broke.........don't even think about 'fixing-it'
So many cans of worms!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
First and golden rule relating to Corvettes (and especially anything vacuum or electrical) is - If it ain't (totally) broke.........don't even think about 'fixing-it'
So many cans of worms!
I have had problems getting the worms back in can on several occasions . :rolleyes::LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
So many cans of worms!
Phew ! At least its not just mine, I wonder what the NCRS guide says about that area 🤣

antijam

CCCUK Member
So many cans of worms!
I'm learning that the hard way! During my relatively short ownership I've been in behind the dash twice so far and I'm now steeling myself for the next.....

P1370378.JPG

The first time was to replace a broken instrument console (almost a standard fixture on old C3's) and to get a working clock. Second time was to sort out the now again non-working clock - completely unnecessary as I had misread the wiring diagram and the clock hadn't failed, just the fuse blown - during which time I inadvertently blew the ammeter, having neglected to isolate the battery before scrabbling around disconnecting things. So, the next intrusion will be to replace the ammeter.

Fiddling around with the dash electrics - and pneumatics come to that - can have interesting side effects. After my first excursion I noticed that shortly after turning off the engine the wiper door (early C3) would slowly rise to the open position, closing again when the engine was started. Obviously my tampering had somehow induced a vacuum leak. Shortly following my second incursion I discovered that this behaviour had been modified and the door now only rose briefly on starting the engine and immediately then closed again.

At the same time I now experienced an intermittent engine misfire, sometimes just one cylinder, sometimes several. Checking all the ignition electrics - and replacing the original Packard high resistance 7mm plug wires with a Taylor 8mm low resistance set - revealed no obvious problem other than the plugs now indicate that engine, already running slightly rich, is now running very rich. Has my accidental vacuum leak 'cure' now resulted in enriching the air/fuel mixture to the point where I need to re-jet the carburettor? That's the joy of old Corvettes - always something to challenge the mind! :unsure:(y)(n):eek:;)

TimP

CCCUK Member
Not sure these pics help but it is messy down there and a seriously awkward place to work....There's not a lot room and the routing is quite important.
Wiring 21.jpg Wiring 22.jpg

I have used a number of the connectors that Teamzr1 mentions in my car to simplify the wiring and ease the removal and installation of the dash gauges and centre gauge console. They are really good but need a special (but not expensive) tool.
Wiring 23.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks team, I have used this on my beach buggy, I may be able to consolidate some bits together but it really is a tangled mess in there, I will have another look this eve. 👍
I used several lengths of the same stuff in various diameters to tidy mine up a bit , especially in the engine bay area along the inner wings where cables drooped and only clipped here and there . Some of the mess probably down to the Japanese equivalent of Buba due to all the years spent in Japan and the mods done .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Not sure these pics help but it is messy down there and a seriously awkward place to work....There's not a lot room and the routing is quite important.
View attachment 24334 View attachment 24335

I have used a number of the connectors that Teamzr1 mentions in my car to simplify the wiring and ease the removal and installation of the dash gauges and centre gauge console. They are really good but need a special (but not expensive) tool.
View attachment 24336
Routing ??? What routing ? 🤣🤣🤣👍

TimP

CCCUK Member
On another subject tim, how is yr steering wheel condition wise ?
I have an aftermarket steering wheel which I quite like. I have repainted the spokes and treated the leather with some colour restorer and it has come out quite nicely.

How about yours?

Interior-61.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I was polishing up the C3 today ready for Pistons & Props at Sywell this weekend and spotted another bit of spaghetti dangling down around the brake pedal . Just stuffed it back for now but looks like more tidying up is needed ! :rolleyes:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have an aftermarket steering wheel which I quite like. I have repainted the spokes and treated the leather with some colour restorer and it has come out quite nicely.

How about yours?

View attachment 24340
Well I have just changed mine as it was somewhat out of round. If yours was knackered then I thought you could have a go at re shaping it , it is very good condition just wonky. But yours looks very tidy now👍E88E7331-C29B-41CB-8EB2-4DF021A61217.jpeg1E26C7B8-1EBF-42D2-B5BD-3A352AFC50CC.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
View attachment 24334 View attachment 24335

View attachment 24336
Had another look up around the fusebox to try to find the source of tinny rattle, can anyone tell me what the very thin plastic cover held in place wit a wing nut up above the side kick panel vent in drivers footwell is for. It is surrounded by this mess of wires and cables? TiA