Nationals 2023/ American Speed fest/ same dates

buzbee

CCCUK Member
Seems The Nationals next year have been organised on the same weekend as American Speed Fest Brands Hatch where next year they are having Corvette only Feature Races , a large event which have a CCCUK display area , guessing this will split attendances to both events ......

johng

CCCUK Member
:(:(:(:(Nooooooo I've been trying to get the Speedfest for the past 4 years and for various reasons still haven't made it. Didn't get to this year's Nationals either due to catching Covid so really want to do that next year as well. Life is just not fair!

buzbee

CCCUK Member
Yea I know.........cannot understand why it was arranged clashing with such a large American event , with dedicated Corvette races as well,,,,,,,hey ho ,,,,,,,,,

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It is very unfortunate but after consideration we had no other option. The last weekend in June was provisionally booked by another club at Sywell and once that booking was confirmed it left us no other choice. The annual Corvette Nationals is our flagship event and with Sywell Aerodrome being such a brilliant venue we still feel that attendances for the Nationals will be well supported especially in the 70th Corvette anniversary year.

Rich

Administrator
I'm in two minds but will decide nearer the time. Given the number of Corvettes that may be racing at Brands Hatch, that may swing it. That sight and sound is unlikely to happen again.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
At least Brands is more accessible for you folks on the south coast . I am always put off by the prospect of a 200 + mile round trip on the M1 and M25 , both of which are bloody a nightmare most of the time ! :eek: It would great to see the Vettes racing though .

johng

CCCUK Member
The Nationals was a 200 mile round trip for me, but I really enjoyed driving up in convoy with the other Essex members. I think though that it is probably going to be the Speedfest for me next year.

Roscobbc

At least Brands is more accessible for you folks on the south coast . I am always put off by the prospect of a 200 + mile round trip on the M1 and M25 , both of which are bloody a nightmare most of the time ! :eek: It would great to see the Vettes racing though .
For you Chuffer a 'diversion' over to the M11 could be a more pleasant (if longer) drive. I'm barely 20 miles from Brands Hatch but need to use the Dartford crosing......and in some respects on a bad day it could be like a 100 mile journey.........generally not too bad going there southbound (if you are early enough, the crossing isn't blocked and not a bank holiday)...........but the return northbound journey can be nightmare if theres is a hold-up at the crossing as that always leads to reall heavy stop/start and ultimately stationary traffic leading up to the tunnels. My Vette has a really good cooling system........but in really hot weather and stop/start traffic it can become marginal.........

buzbee

CCCUK Member
I enjoyed The Nationals at Sywell last year , Doing quarter mile passes at Santa Pod on the Saturday........ My son receiving a CCCUK lifetime membership at the Gala meal on Saturday night for being the clubs youngest member ( one year old) , show and shine on Sunday....next year i will have been a club member for 40 years 353 and still have Vera , my orange 1976 L48 which i bought in 1983 and have been a commitee member in the past ( worth a free years membership ha ha ) . Sadly no Run what ya Brung at the Pod on next years dates , whilst i still would have made the Nationals Trip the pull of a fuel filled weekend with hundreds of American cars , UK plus Euro Nascars and this year Corvette Race Cars actually racing round the Indi circuit for the Vetts 70th Anniversary will be im sure to much of a pull , I was there with Rich Last year in our Camaros in a full CCCUK paddock , maybe this year with the clashing dates there will be a bit more room............

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Just catching up with all things Corvette after almost 5 months on the road.
That's a real shame they clash and will be a difficult decision to make. 😢

I know the original 'provisional' date clashed with the out of sequence Le Mans Classic 100th track anniversary and with so many other events, it's a tough one for sure. :unsure:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The Nationals was a 200 mile round trip for me, but I really enjoyed driving up in convoy with the other Essex members. I think though that it is probably going to be the Speedfest for me next year.
It`s not the distance that bothers me it`s the hassle of the M1 southbound from Junction 15 which with its UN SMART lanes , numerous accidents and hold ups on a daily basis . Then there is the delights of the M25 and Dartford Tunnel that Roscobbc referred to . With Sywell only 9 miles from me it`s a no brainer .

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
This is a bit of a disaster as far as clashes go. I doubt there is any other show or event in the UK [other than our Nationals and the Lakes] that attracts so many Corvettes as American Speedfest does - This year we had 35 in the Clubs area, plus others dotted around. With the Corvette races, and hopefully Oneballs race car circuit debut, Speedfest 2023 should be a real opportunity for the Club to promote itself and the marque.
Are we sure it’s not too late to change the Nationals date???

Oneball

CCCUK Member
This is a bit of a disaster as far as clashes go. I doubt there is any other show or event in the UK [other than our Nationals and the Lakes] that attracts so many Corvettes as American Speedfest does - This year we had 35 in the Clubs area, plus others dotted around. With the Corvette races, and hopefully Oneballs race car circuit debut, Speedfest 2023 should be a real opportunity for the Club to promote itself and the marque.
Are we sure it’s not too late to change the Nationals date???
No pressure then!

Corvette

Well-known user
I was at Speedfest years ago 2014? when Mustang club celebrated 50 years of the Mustang. There was hundreds and hundreds of cars there. The area opp the pits/ other side of Cooper straight was covered in them. Someone needs to speak to Bernie.....

Ross, Blackwall tunnel is still there 😃

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I was at Speedfest years ago 2014? when Mustang club celebrated 50 years of the Mustang. There was hundreds and hundreds of cars there. The area opp the pits/ other side of Cooper straight was covered in them. Someone needs to speak to Bernie.....

Ross, Blackwall tunnel is still there 😃
Don’t think Euro NASCAR will change their dates for CCCUK

monty

CCCUK regional rep
I know only too well from being the chairman in another motorsport organisation that trying to miss all other planned events is almost impossible. It is unfortunate but IMO trying to change it now would create more problems as I have experienced many times in my organisation.
sometimes changing (when already planned) just to miss other events changes the credibility of your own.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I know only too well from being the chairman in another motorsport organisation that trying to miss all other planned events is almost impossible. It is unfortunate but IMO trying to change it now would create more problems as I have experienced many times in my organisation.
sometimes changing (when already planned) just to miss other events changes the credibility of your own.
I do appreciate the difficulties in picking a date, but Speedfest is a big deal in the southeast. Next years Speedfest even more so with the "Corvette celebration" and holding Corvette-only races. I doubt that has ever happened in the UK, or anywhere outside of the US. This isn't just any ordinary car show - as event clashes go this has got to be the worst?
Talking to the Essex members at our Christmas dinner last night, they all want to go to Speedfest. I expect Kent and the other south east regions will think the same, so we pretty much know it will significantly dent the 'Nationals attendance, which is a real shame. As long as that is realised.
It puts me as the region's rep in a difficult position too - I would normally promote the event and arrange the cruise from Essex to Speedfest (and ditto to the Nationals) It's even more difficult for Kent reps as they co-ordinate the Clubs display area and tickets with Brands Hatch.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I totally agree Monty . It is unfortunate that there is a clash with a big event such as Brands Hatch but avoiding clashes in the busy part of the summer is nigh on impossible as I know only too well having been in the same position myself over the past 30 odd years as an official with three other car clubs . You cannot please everone all the time and committee members have a thankless task much of the time . The club committee is under staffed as it is and are multi tasking so causing too much grief with make them walk too . Big events like the nationals need a lot of forward planning to book a suitable location and hotel accommodation and dining facilities on a large scale in a convenient part of the country that has reasonable access for most members spread across the UK .

Roscobbc

I totally agree Monty . It is unfortunate that there is a clash with a big event such as Brands Hatch but avoiding clashes in the busy part of the summer is nigh on impossible as I know only too well having been in the same position myself over the past 30 odd years as an official with three other car clubs . You cannot please everone all the time and committee members have a thankless task much of the time . The club committee is under staffed as it is and are multi tasking so causing too much grief with make them walk too . Big events like the nationals need a lot of forward planning to book a suitable location and hotel accommodation and dining facilities on a large scale in a convenient part of the country that has reasonable access for most members spread across the UK .
I have to back-up Andy's comments, but am also very 'mindful' of Chuffer thoughts.
Speedfest will be holding a number of specific Corvette only races and 'celebrating' the Corvettes 70's birthday so it is reasonable to expect that visitors and general public attending would expect to see a large contingent of Vettes on display.
I fully understand the difficulty of selecting a suitable event date a year or so 'in front' and the fear of potentially loosing the 'perfect' Nationals location by delaying our selection........however perhaps with a little logic as a club and the UK ambassadors for the marque perhaps we can use this to our advantage.
It's obvious that CCCUK members (and especially those who are located in the south east) will have a preference for Speedfest.
Same logic says that members further 'up country' will perhaps prefer Sywell.
I'm guessing not too many will try to cover both venues as things stand........but perhaps we should consider thinking 'out of the box' and look to fully and officially support the Speedfest event giving members the choice of either (or even both) events...........'two events for the price of one' ?