On eBay today

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wheels have always been such a personal choice. Very early in my motoring life and it being 1977 upwards, I loved wolfrace or Appliance slot mags. This lasted for a few years, chrome cragers etc then I started to appreciate factory wheels. Haven’t bought a set of aftermarket wheels for probably 40 odd years.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Quite a few alterations/modifications done there, but the “bones” of the car look all there. The 1967 stinger hood is very desirable, and the 454ci BB motor is another plus. Will never be for the purists, but still a very nice/desirable drive.

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
When a car has been modded like this, how well/poorly do they retain their value?

And is it a ballache to 'restore' it to something resembling original?

Any other watch outs when picking up a modded example?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Depending on the modifications done putting it back to “original” can turn out to be a financial nightmare. Bodywork can cost a fortune. Interior if altered again for a corvette lots of money. Then there’s the motor.
As for value? It’s all about what someone is prepared to pay for it, but the “market” is probably a lot smaller than a “standard “car. IMO.

Roscobbc

Depending on the modifications done putting it back to “original” can turn out to be a financial nightmare. Bodywork can cost a fortune. Interior if altered again for a corvette lots of money. Then there’s the motor.
As for value? It’s all about what someone is prepared to pay for it, but the “market” is probably a lot smaller than a “standard “car. IMO.
Agree with that 100% - and will certainly limit an already limited market car even further.......except perhaps to that odd person who prefers a modded car.
And yes, I have modified my '68 - but no bodywork changes - very few changes in fact - just wheels (which can be swapped back for originals) hi-rise hood is now an L88 repro item (but still have the original LT1/BB hood) - engine is 'built' stroker big block (but still have the matching numbers 427 stored away).
Justificantion? - even though it was a matching numbers car it could never be described as concours - that would have been sacrilege!
If an early C3 was to significantly excalate in value (which they seem to be heading in that direction) there is no reason why mine couldn't be returned to stock configuration and matching no's very easily.

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Agree with that 100% - and will certainly limit an already limited market car even further.......except perhaps to that odd person who prefers a modded car.
And yes, I have modified my '68 - but no bodywork changes - very few changes in fact - just wheels (which can be swapped back for originals) hi-rise hood is now an L88 repro item (but still have the original LT1/BB hood) - engine is 'built' stroker big block (but still have the matching numbers 427 stored away).
Justificantion? - even though it was a matching numbers car it could never be described as concours - that would have been sacrilege!
If an early C3 was to significantly excalate in value (which they seem to be heading in that direction) there is no reason why mine couldn't be returned to stock configuration and matching no's very easily.
So without the original engine, etc, you'd just be spending time collecting OEM parts so that one day you could maybe return it to something resembling 'stock'?

I'm not a purist, but something I can get closer to original would be nice... But at £45k, this example is hard to ignore... The only others I've seen have been £65k+ 🤷‍♂️

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Motors in corvettes have been swapped out for years. The old 283ci on C1’s were regularly junked for 350’s. Used engines were cheap as chips. The mid years feared a bit better, but many 327ci were junked in the 1970’s. Exception being the BB motors.
Did said owners keep the original motor? Most didn’t. They just left them at the shop that carried out the swap.
It just wasn’t a big deal to swap out a motor back in the day.

Roscobbc

Unless you can be convinced that the car has its original engine a other parts available you'll have a job sourcing them. In 'the day' when Vettes ('certainly' in the USA) were effectively just another car with relatively low value many would have been robbed for their engines and later lopo emission engine would replace it. Whilst its possible to replace the engine and other parts with correct period dated components......they are still not the originals......and it will make a difference to value. Most people would actually know the difference and many have unwittingly paid top money for car with incorrect components...........

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Motors in corvettes have been swapped out for years. The old 283ci on C1’s were regularly junked for 350’s. Used engines were cheap as chips. The mid years feared a bit better, but many 327ci were junked in the 1970’s. Exception being the BB motors.
Did said owners keep the original motor? Most didn’t. They just left them at the shop that carried out the swap.
It just wasn’t a big deal to swap out a motor back in the day.
No, although they've kept the original mirrors and some of the interior mouldings.

How tough is it to source an original engine for a C2 mid-year?

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Unless you can be convinced that the car has its original engine a other parts available you'll have a job sourcing them. In 'the day' when Vettes ('certainly' in the USA) were effectively just another car with relatively low value many would have been robbed for their engines and later lopo emission engine would replace it. Whilst its possible to replace the engine and other parts with correct period dated components......they are still not the originals......and it will make a difference to value. Most people would actually know the difference and many have unwittingly paid top money for car with incorrect components...........
So it's probably worth finding the extra £20k and waiting for a numbers matching example?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That Glen Green metallic is quite a nice colour, very subdued.
Nassau Blue was thought of as quite an outrageous colour when introduced in 1965, and was the most popular colour for the 1965 model year. Always liked it as it’s very bright, and I like blue.
Another favourite of mine is the 1966 Mosport Green poly. Very rare as only about 900 buyers chose it.