On eBay today

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
The latest "Classic American" mag has a nice looking 65 convertible with hard top included in the classifieds.
It's dark green asking £49,950 07722 610 997 Looks stock
A good spot, thanks - I can't find it on their website, is it only in the physical magazine?

I'm pretty set on a coupe though.

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
For anyone that's bought a modified C2 - what counts as a 'substantial change' when looking at car tax and the DVLA? This example has had the engine changed to a size that I don't think you can claim was a 'standard replacement' for the period (454) and the brakes have been uprated - would you be expecting to pay tax and to get annual MOTs on this?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I would say an engine swap could be considered a substantial change, but C2’s could be had with 396 and 427ci motors, so a 454ci is not much different. Brake upgrade wouldn’t count as much.
As far a MOT and tax, it would be exempt from both.

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
I would say an engine swap could be considered a substantial change, but C2’s could be had with 396 and 427ci motors, so a 454ci is not much different. Brake upgrade wouldn’t count as much.
As far a MOT and tax, it would be exempt from both.
Fair play - are there any history checker sites folks would recommend for old American imports? I tried CarVertical and it's garbage - the best information I can find is limited to a list of advisories from the car's last MOT in 2011 - which could all be 'fine' now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-04 201730.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-04 201730.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 5

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Parking brake has NEVER been a mid year Corvette strong point, it fact it’s pretty useless. If you have an auto and pull away with it on, that’s it. It’s finished from that point on.
C3’s are not that better either

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Parking brake has NEVER been a mid year Corvette strong point, it fact it’s pretty useless. If you have an auto and pull away with it on, that’s it. It’s finished from that point on.
C3’s are not that better either
Is that one you can replace with a modern alternative? I live in hilly Yorkshire, so having the option of a modern parking brake would be great 😅

Roscobbc

Is that one you can replace with a modern alternative? I live in hilly Yorkshire, so having the option of a modern parking brake would be great 😅
In a word - NO. Certainly nothing that would comply with construction and use regulations.......if the stock C2/C3 parking brake is in good working order it should comfortably 'hold' the car on sensible gradients........however (and in exactly the same way as you would with ANY car in that same situation) you would additionally leave it in gear or park.
An auto Vette is far more likely to have a duff parking brake - the 'septics just don't use them in the USA -and just stuff it in park!

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I think when it comes to "substantial change" it means steering and suspension. Once those are non standard I imagine they want you to have an annual MOT - it won't affect the 40 year tax exemption whatever has been done to the car. Details are available to read on the government on line portal.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I think when it comes to "substantial change" it means steering and suspension. Once those are non standard I imagine they want you to have an annual MOT - it won't affect the 40 year tax exemption whatever has been done to the car. Details are available to read on the government on line portal.
An acceptable change that does not count as a 'substantial change' is when "axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance"
Running gear is usually defined as "the moving parts of a machine, especially the wheels, steering, and suspension of a vehicle" so changing steering and suspension for reasons of 'safety' does not count as a substantial change and does not require an annual MoT.
This has been an important factor in achieving MoT exemption for a number of 'Classic' cars. In my own case my Daimler SP250 was originally built with cam and lever steering, with the steering box inverted and mounted on the lowest point of the front of the chassis; so low in fact that in the event of hitting a speed hump or pothole the box usually took the impact. Since the steering column was rigid in the event of serious impact the unfortunate driver was in serious danger of being impaled by it. In common with many other SP250's my car has been converted to Rack & Pinion steering which is not only much safer in the event of collision, but lighter and more efficient and this change does not require an MoT.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
An acceptable change that does not count as a 'substantial change' is when "axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance"
I wonder if changing my standard '68 327 for a new fuel injected V8 would be an "acceptable change", because it'll be more efficient and better for the environment? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

I wonder if changing my standard '68 327 for a new fuel injected V8 would be an "acceptable change", because it'll be more efficient and better for the environment? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Of course it would be 'acceptable' to DVLA. As would any generically similar ICE power source based on OEM designed engine. So 632 cu in 1000 hp crate engine is ok. However a 'live' axle with 9" Ford diff to try and handle all that power is not. However a 9" Ford diff adapted to replace Chevy unit still using trailing arms would probably be fine. Same should apply for alternative brand based engine in same car.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Lovely colour that..

Did you know Corvette colours are linked to famous race tracks?

Mosport Green - Mosport Park
Glen Green - Watkins Glen International
Riverside Red - Riverside International Raceway
Sebring Silver - Sebring International Raceway
Daytona Blue - Daytona International Speedway
Nassau Blue - Nassau Oaks Field
Brands Hatch Green - Obvious
LeMans Blue - Obvious
Mille Miglia Red - Obvious