Side pipes

spog1

CCCUK Member
Hi, i was thinking of fitting side pipes to my 71 350 Z4 heads, are any makes better than others, as in fitment wise and quality. If i have to hack to much at the car which i've seen some do on youtube then I'd rather not bother.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
For my 1968 I got a set of sidepipe version Hedman Headers and then got a local exhaust shop to do a custom stainless steel side exhaust pipe. I also have the factory side sidepipe covers over the top of them to save a bit of a leg burn.

The one bit I didn't realise about my chosen headers was that they don't have the bracket on them for the alternator to attach to on the driver's side. So it wasn't supported at that one point and kept moving. A new bracket had to be custom made to hold it.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Factory 1969 style covers are a must for me on any C3. To me they just look so right. Most of the major corvette parts suppliers will have the covers ( as well as the actual pipes). Original style were aluminium, nowadays they are available in fibreglass as a lower cost option. You can even get them in chrome finish for extra bling.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Never understood why Chevrolet dropped the side exhaust option after one year. Everybody nailed a set on vertically every make and model over the 1970’s
Put a set on a MK2 cortina and it went faster 😂😂😂

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
The N14 side exhaust option was dropped because the GM legal people were starting to get nervous over complaints about noise levels.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

Keith P

CCCUK Member
I have Hookers on my 1976 with big tube headers. I think they look great and sound great but were difficult to fit particularly tightening the header bolts due to access. I also have the Steeroids rack and pinion conversion meaning the header had to have a dent put in one tube to clear the mechanism. Mine are stainless steel so no rust issues, just endless polishing!

Keith

Roscobbc

I have Hookers on my 1976 with big tube headers. I think they look great and sound great but were difficult to fit particularly tightening the header bolts due to access. I also have the Steeroids rack and pinion conversion meaning the header had to have a dent put in one tube to clear the mechanism. Mine are stainless steel so no rust issues, just endless polishing!

Keith
12 point reduced diameter ARP stainless bolts and matching washers may help. Being 12 point means that a matching 3/8” ring, standard or (possibly extended) socket fit easier.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My covers are the cheaper fibreglass ones. They came with the car when I imported it. I also have a second set of "new" and unused fibreglass covers still in their box.

antijam

CCCUK Member
How about all the burnt leg skin fused to the sides :)
The wearing noise on a long journey and the cost of replacement trousers ;) were the reasons the side pipes came off my car. Personally I think it looks better without them - but chacun à son goût.......

car_194671S114930SM590f65451b104.JPG
IMG_7383.JPG

johng

CCCUK Member
My covers are the cheaper fibreglass ones. They came with the car when I imported it. I also have a second set of "new" and unused fibreglass covers still in their box.
So what is the finish on your covers, are they painted? Any chance of a close up photo of them?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The fibreglass covers can be painted body colour or any colour you want . When painted in aluminium they are very hard to tell from factory ones.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
So what is the finish on your covers, are they painted? Any chance of a close up photo of them?
The ones on the car are painted. I had a special metallic flake colour made up that doesn't really show in photo. The spare covers are unpainted as that's how they come from the shop. This is a photo of them a bit dirty after some country lanes. Only photo I have of them close up ish. Let me know if you want a really close up photo and I'll go take a photo of it in the garage. (Note that the new wheels, re-painted pipe covers and new stainless exhaust are all settling - just took it out from the garage after having it done - aka the gaps aren't so gappy nowadays).

20190404_113606.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
One thing to note about side pipes on a 1968 - note I don't have the wheel arch flares, so any crud thrown up by the front wheels just shotgun the front of the side pipe covers where they bend around and into the arch.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think most of the aftermarket side exhausts ie hooker etc stick out further than the factory designed 1965-67 and 1969 type, hence the burning of legs getting in/out. The Thrush models side-kicks and The outsiders closely resemble the GM originals and didn’t stick out as much as hookers etc
Me personally have never burnt my legs, I’m pretty careful.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Not much thought is put onto the shape of side rails covering the side pipes
Via wind tunnel, we gained 5 MPH with this aero shape of my Snake Skinner ZR-1
I did though screw up the hearing in my left ear due to not much of a muffler and no side windows and
forgetting to wear ear plugs even with full faced helmet :(

Oh, another sneaky thing is the A-Pillars and windshield was raked another 5 degrees inward from the top which
if you look can see that, also a MPH gainer :)

pe6992.jpg

pony2.jpg

There are times though when a C3 looks really great with no side pipes :)

175.jpg

Last edited: