1000 Hp BBC crate engine

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I would not consider using low grade gas with 12.0:1 engine compression and a narrow 113 LSA and 7,000 RPM rev limiter
With that, LSA means less vacuum down low and be an issue with line pressure for an auto tranny without some canister to help vacuum for it

Must lope like running on 7 cylinders at low RPM, but that would give it a real nice rumble idle exhaust sound.

The 89 lb/hr fuel injectors being used says it sucks up a lot of that gas in short order.

richie500

CCCUK Member
In my day when I was heavily into the jap car scene with my 485hp Toyota celica gt4 people where spending upwards of £100k for that 1000hp bragging rights so £21k is relatively cheap in this world of the price keeps going up

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, but just can’t get my head around paying that for a motor. With all the traffic on the roads nowadays, the old traffic light Grand Prix is a thing of the past. Myself, can’t see the point of it unless your going to use it for legitimate racing etc. then of course it’s a business expense so OK.

Roscobbc

Yes, but just can’t get my head around paying that for a motor. With all the traffic on the roads nowadays, the old traffic light Grand Prix is a thing of the past. Myself, can’t see the point of it unless your going to use it for legitimate racing etc. then of course it’s a business expense so OK.
I know what you mean - I seem to have so little opportunity to open secondaries and 'unleash' all the horsepower out of my engine - thing is you can do it for a brief few seconds but without a planned forward strategy over a clear path in front you are continually backing-off on the gas pedal to avoid the ass-end overtaking you.......a continual (but fun) battle.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I need that engine to get away from the bad drivers. Everyone trying to ram my car and when I indicate to turn they suddenly panic and slam their breaks instead of leaving a generous gap and slowing down. How many seconds are they shaving off their journey by risking a crash?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Mine is only a 327/300 at the moment and I'm honestly happy with it most of the time as I just like to cruise around in the old girl. Occasionally I would just like it to be a bit more quicker, purely because my mind sees 5.4 litre V8 with 300 gross hp (about 250 actual net hp recorded on a rolling road after tune up, which seems about right for 300 gross hp), but the mind can't fathom why its about as quick as my daily Ford Focus diesel (140hp factory stats). Granted the Vette FEELS a lot faster and is way more fun to drive, but the daily diseasel is actually fractionally quicker.

Roscobbc

Mine is only a 327/300 at the moment and I'm honestly happy with it most of the time as I just like to cruise around in the old girl. Occasionally I would just like it to be a bit more quicker, purely because my mind sees 5.4 litre V8 with 300 gross hp (about 250 actual net hp recorded on a rolling road after tune up, which seems about right for 300 gross hp), but the mind can't fathom why its about as quick as my daily Ford Focus diesel (140hp factory stats). Granted the Vette FEELS a lot faster and is way more fun to drive, but the daily diseasel is actually fractionally quicker.
What rear axle has the car got? - is it auto or manual?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s torque that accelerates a car not bhp. Your Focus has probably got 220lbft which won’t be dissimilar to the Vette.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I guess it's the electronic engine monitoring and all that jazz on the modern cars that give it more power. I don't care because driving the stingray feels absolutely amazing and in my experience handles perfectly fine. The feedback you get from classic cars is amazing and it's nice to feel like you're driving without anything really helping you out. Obviously modern cars are better during the winter.

Roscobbc

Modern small capacity engines, especially diesels need all the help they can get from electronics and turbos. Also need multiple gear ratios to make use of the relatively short power bands these engines have. That is why larger capacity American V8's are great - the torque spread (even though many don't rev very high) is very wide and can give a good driving experience with fewer gear ratios needed.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I guess it's the electronic engine monitoring and all that jazz on the modern cars that give it more power. I don't care because driving the stingray feels absolutely amazing and in my experience handles perfectly fine. The feedback you get from classic cars is amazing and it's nice to feel like you're driving without anything really helping you out. Obviously modern cars are better during the winter.

You might not care, but your C3 is embarrassed to be seen riding around with only 150 HP :) :)

Your right the electronics flips the switch on an engine to output much closer to the design specs
Consider your 5.7 liter engine HP and maybe lucky to get 10 MPG and then
my C5 LS1 modified engine outputs 500 HP and can get 30 MPG (if I am a good boy :)
But also the electronics, ie, the software calibrations can also steal performance by controlling the amount of torque
when auto tranny shifts, etc

I suggest you pump that output out by doing what the Brits and Americans did in WW-II with warplanes by adding a water/Methanol injection
in intake and upping the timing will give your engine a boner ! :)

I started doing just that with my C3s back in late 1970s

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
What rear axle has the car got? - is it auto or manual?
I'm assuming the standard one for the car. I don't know - how does one tell?

As for the cars, both Focus and Vette are manuals (Focus 6sp, Vette 4sp) - I don't do automatics.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
It’s torque that accelerates a car not bhp. Your Focus has probably got 220lbft which won’t be dissimilar to the Vette.
According to the internet, which is of course always right, the Focus has 236lb/ft at 2k rpm. My Vette has been on a rolling road, and its torque output was quite good from even low revs and stays relatively consistent, peaking around 300lb/ft. It was a while back though, and I can't remember what I did with the readout.

As I said above, I'm happy with the performance as its good enough for me and its a fun car to drive. Just in the recesses of my mind its just weird to think my 2 litre I4 140hp/236lb/ft manual Focus is quicker than my 5.4 litre V8 250hp/300lb/ft Vette. It doesn't matter, it just sounds weird when I think about it, and besides my FTO is quicker than both of them and that is 200hp / bugger all torque (120ish?). Probably doesn't help I have sidepipes as that's gonna kill scavenging and so forth. Hey hum, never mind. One day I might put some newer heads on it and fuel injection.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s what the passage of time and technology does. It improves things. If your Vette was a 1968 and your modern car is 2018 that’s 50 years worth of technology difference. It makes the vette a old charabang. Compare the same vette in 1968 to a Car from 1918.
what a difference there.
American manufacturers were a bit lazy during 60’s 70’s just put a old V8 in it. They didn’t really develope engines much during that period