1000 Hp BBC crate engine

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That’s what the passage of time and technology does. It improves things. If your Vette was a 1968 and your modern car is 2018 that’s 50 years worth of technology difference. It makes the vette a old charabang. Compare the same vette in 1968 to a Car from 1918.
what a difference there.
That's pretty much exactly what I tell my mate when he "brags" his Octavia VRS diesel is faster than my Vette. Its true, it is. Do I care? Nope. If he drove a "fast diesel" from 1968 would my Vette completely whoop it? Of course it would. Like you said, technology makes a difference.

As for my daily - its just a 2007 model, so "only" around 40 years technology difference. As a software developer, I like to compare it to computers and see the difference just a few years makes in my field. So for the Vette to even keep up is truly remarkable.

* I didn't get chance to look for the diff code yesterday.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've found some info about my rear end diff. It has the red tag on it that says something like "Use limited slip differential oil only". So that's exciting news.

The code is as such:
OA 2 OW 7 EL (not sure on the "L" as its hard to read, and not sure if some "O" are letter "O" or number 0).

Looking on the internet, where everything is true of course, there is no "OA" start code for my Vette, which is the important letters for identifying the diff apparently. So I'm assuming someone stamped it on the wrong way around as the other way around it reads "AO", which according to the internet for a 68 Vette is a "3.70:1 Positraction (327/350)" rear end. This jives with my car as its a 1968 and is a 327.

As to what's in the diff casing now though - who knows as it could have been changed over the years.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I think it’s more likely you’ve got a later diff. OA was used to signify 3.08 later on. Easy way to tell is to turn both wheels and count prop shaft revolutions

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Well, a 3.08 diff in my little 327 might explain things a bit. I did think about the counting the prop revs whilst turning the wheels, but not got the time currently and not got the space in the garage at the mo to get to other side to jack it up. Something for the future I guess.