1969 at Barons auctions

Roscobbc

How on earth did it get NCRS Top Flight status? Unless that was twenty years ago. :)
When I was doing the DVLA letters for members requiring registration I seem to recall a couple of cars that that had NCRS Top Flite status and didn't seem to match up to the quite exacting NCRS standards. As you have intimated that was most likely earlier-on in the cars life, perhaps with a supposedly 'caring' previous USA owner..........oh the 'sands of time' and perhaps years unsympathetic care and storage..............

Corvette

Well-known user
NCRS? I do like the story of a C2 that was judged but rightfully was marked down for being the wrong colour to the colour stated on the trim tag. The car was later given top flight with the correct trim tag! Cheaper than a repaint. Problem is that C2 is in UK and no doubt there are some red faces reading this.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

It might not sell as it has a reserve. I had thought to attend and try and get it below my offer but called the auction house and while they would admit a reserve was set the rightly wouldn't say what that was. I had visions of my phone going off to accept my original offer if it weren't getting to his reserve ;) A very small market for a car such as that so it may well be a no sale. Before I made my offer with some internet searching I was surprised to find a two year old American advert for the car that included loads of photo's, a walk around video and the original asking price of I think $59k. It showed in perfect condition with period correct red lines rather than the BFG's it now wears and it has suffered as it sits outside so all the under-hood chrome has started to pit. It had a scrape on the nose which needed painting.

427 bump.PNG

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
When I was doing the DVLA letters for members requiring registration I seem to recall a couple of cars that that had NCRS Top Flite status and didn't seem to match up to the quite exacting NCRS standards. As you have intimated that was most likely earlier-on in the cars life, perhaps with a supposedly 'caring' previous USA owner..........oh the 'sands of time' and perhaps years unsympathetic care and storage..............

Two Top Flights, one yonks ago and a more recent (2018) I think. It was very nice and with some fettling and correct tyres it will be a special Corvette. The WOO 427 isn't selling with the car.

As for TF awards owners can make money loaning out the hard to find date & code correct parts for the judging day :rolleyes:

Roscobbc

I recognise the W00 427 registration on that Vette - some years ago it was on a Essex based BBF powered Cobra replica owned by a buddy before he 'gave it all up' a number of years ago. Ordinarily I would perhaps suggest 'running' the car details through the club database of but I'm guessing that it wouldn't show on the W00 427 number.

Letank

CCCUK Member
It might not sell as it has a reserve. I had thought to attend and try and get it below my offer but called the auction house and while they would admit a reserve was set the rightly wouldn't say what that was. I had visions of my phone going off to accept my original offer if it weren't getting to his reserve ;) A very small market for a car such as that so it may well be a no sale. Before I made my offer with some internet searching I was surprised to find a two year old American advert for the car that included loads of photo's, a walk around video and the original asking price of I think $59k. It showed in perfect condition with period correct red lines rather than the BFG's it now wears and it has suffered as it sits outside so all the under-hood chrome has started to pit. It had a scrape on the nose which needed painting.

View attachment 10267
As you say, there isn’t a huge market for cars like this in the UK. Those who are not Corvette followers will see chrome cars for sale around the £25-£35k mark and think that this is just too expensive without appreciating the cost that goes into getting a good NCRS car. Having said that though, when you see other classic cars from the same period fetching 6 figures, £50k might seem like a bargain to some for such a beautiful looking car in great condition. As with any auction it will all come down to whether there are at least two people who really want it on the day!

sublimemike

Well-known user
If you have Whatsapp I can send you the video I took in the passenger seat but here are the underneath photos. I did check the windscreen frame, around the radiator area, down the door jams and under the T-Tops but it was completely fine. I didn't get to see down the footwell and behind the plate for rust.
James , that looks suspiciously crusty to me. The rear suspension tells a tale of whatit's really like where has the front chassis rail has been partially painted. Caveat Emperor - probably spelt wrong but it means buyer beware. take those kick panels of to see the birdcage

HJG

Well-known user
James , that looks suspiciously crusty to me. The rear suspension tells a tale of whatit's really like where has the front chassis rail has been partially painted. Caveat Emperor - probably spelt wrong but it means buyer beware. take those kick panels of to see the birdcage
It probably doesn't look much worse than most cars underneath nowadays. Particulalry 00' German cars.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My guess is that the front chassis rail was partially painted on the outer face only as that is the one bit easily accessed and seen without getting under the car . Done to deceive if you ask me , to make it look well maintained . :(

Letank

CCCUK Member
It’s looks very crusty, especially at the rear. The drivers side rear strut rod also appears to be bent, which would indicate it has had an impact of some sort.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
James not sure what the auction date is, but get out there and see as many as you can that are for sale to get a good feel for condition against value - as has been said the underneath of this one is very crusty at the rear, the front chassis section has survived better - most likely because of the oil leakage, but looking at the rear as Letank noted the Strut Rod has taken quite a thump, the Trailing Arms have seen better days, even part of the structure holding up the spare wheel carrier has rusted through, as Mike said you need the Kick Panels off and you need the Trim off the Top Bar of the Windscreen - Windscreen Frame Repairs are expensive and Bird Cage Frame Repairs can break the Bank - all depends on the sale price and what you can do yourself as far as restoration is concerned - Best of luck, but you should be bidding on this one you need to know re the Bird Cage and Windscreen Frame as those factors are costly.

Can't wait until you have got your Vette and fulfilled your dreams.

Corvette

Well-known user
Trolley jacks bend strut rods just as quick as they dent front chassis crossmembers. Trailing arms are out of date but I would find it hard another at the guide price. Enjoy the adrenaline rush whilst bidding.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Just got back from a CCCUK meet and wondered if anyone saw what the '68 tri power went for. Doesn't say on the auction site? Did it sell ?

James Vette

CCCUK Member
James not sure what the auction date is, but get out there and see as many as you can that are for sale to get a good feel for condition against value - as has been said the underneath of this one is very crusty at the rear, the front chassis section has survived better - most likely because of the oil leakage, but looking at the rear as Letank noted the Strut Rod has taken quite a thump, the Trailing Arms have seen better days, even part of the structure holding up the spare wheel carrier has rusted through, as Mike said you need the Kick Panels off and you need the Trim off the Top Bar of the Windscreen - Windscreen Frame Repairs are expensive and Bird Cage Frame Repairs can break the Bank - all depends on the sale price and what you can do yourself as far as restoration is concerned - Best of luck, but you should be bidding on this one you need to know re the Bird Cage and Windscreen Frame as those factors are costly.

Can't wait until you have got your Vette and fulfilled your dreams.
Thanks and yeah I am probably getting a bit carried away but I'd like to secure it before I get the dreaded bills of moving out and all that bull. 😅

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Some rivets were showing around the headlights is that expensive to fix? I don't care about perfect paint and this paint sure isn't perfect especially with a crack near one headlight.