1969 Stingray budget? Advice needed!

Snooz3

Regular user
22500 usd is 17k gbp
That is a cheap 69. I looked at one over here needing everything doing that was 16 and sold quickly. 👍

Looks great, would be a good way of doing it. Do you know what the price would be with shipping and import fees? Also the car is an automatic and I would want a manual.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
As above, I'd take up any offers from people who have State side contacts etc to help find the car of your dreams. I "rolled the dice" on mine as it was everything I wanted except wasn't a big block (4 speed manual, blue, side exhausts). Big block would have been lovely, but the extra expense of it all. Then I considered I wouldn't really be driving it that fast anyway, so I figured the 300hp small block mine has was plenty for me. Being it is an old car, you get that "feels and sounds fast" feeling, but in reality its not going that fast. But I like it. My "dice rolling" turned out not to be that great and the car had main niggles that I've mostly ironed out now.

Side exhausts, as above, were factory optioned on 69 only. However, you can retro fit them to many years. My car is a 1968 model and it came with side exhausts from the states when I bought it. I've since replaced the original piping with stainless steel side exhausts etc.

Snooz3

Regular user
As above, I'd take up any offers from people who have State side contacts etc to help find the car of your dreams. I "rolled the dice" on mine as it was everything I wanted except wasn't a big block (4 speed manual, blue, side exhausts). Big block would have been lovely, but the extra expense of it all. Then I considered I wouldn't really be driving it that fast anyway, so I figured the 300hp small block mine has was plenty for me. Being it is an old car, you get that "feels and sounds fast" feeling, but in reality its not going that fast. But I like it. My "dice rolling" turned out not to be that great and the car had main niggles that I've mostly ironed out now.

Side exhausts, as above, were factory optioned on 69 only. However, you can retro fit them to many years. My car is a 1968 model and it came with side exhausts from the states when I bought it. I've since replaced the original piping with stainless steel side exhausts etc.

Thanks for the advice, may I ask was the small block 300bhp stock? this would be enough power for me I really.

Would love to have the side exits on the car.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Looks great, would be a good way of doing it. Do you know what the price would be with shipping and import fees? Also the car is an automatic and I would want a manual.
My shipping was 2400 but depends how far the car is from a port , and the 5% vat was 1240 ish.
The vat is payable on the whole cost of the car, the shipping, the unloading and clearance charges.
so a rough guide I reckon yours would arrive all paid for 21k max. I too wanted a 4 speed over an auto so you have to weigh up the pros and cons, cheap 69 with a few things to do , versus an unmolested 69 with manual box . got to be several k more I would think.
Loads of people are importing cars every month and most seem to arrive intact so I would definately explore the us option as your choice is so much greater and the prices even with shipping etc work out to a pretty keenly priced car. Good luck, 👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
.......Would love to have the side exits on the car.

Are you sure? They have the look and are loud enough to annoy the neighbours but the drone can be a bit wearing on a trip. My '71 had side pipes retrofitted while in the States (they were optional only on '69's).....

1-car_194671S114930SM590f65451b104.jpg

Over here the noise (and the need for fireproof trousers) led to a reversion to standard.....

1-IMG_7383.JPG

Long trips much less tiring (for me at least).

Roscobbc

The 'States' is the obvious place to look for a far more plentiful selection of cars............however get it wrong, and many do. Get 'turned over' etc you'll still have paid the shipping, duty, vat & transport from UK docks and all these additional costs will make a 'poggler' even more expensive. I provided dozens of DVLA proof of manufacture letters for members importing Vettes to the UK from the 'States. A number of sorry stories there I'm afraid. Unfortunately all we see on here is guys commenting on their 'good' experiences. I'm guessing most of those who didn't have a 'good experience' became dissolutioned with Corvette ownership and have dropped off the scene.

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The 'State' is the obvious place to look for a far more plentiful selection of cars............however get it wrong, and many do. Get 'turned over' etc you'll still have paid the shipping, duty, vat & transport from UK docks and all these additional costs will make a 'poggler' even more expensive. I provided dozens of DVLA proof of manufacture letters for members importing Vettes to the UK from the 'States. A number of sorry stories there I'm afraid. Unfortunately all we see on here is guys commenting on their 'good' experiences. I'm guessing most of those who didn't have a 'good experience' became dissolutioned with Corvette ownership and have dropped off the scene.

Mine is/was a piece of s/:t, admittedly the cheapest 68/69 on sale anywhere in the world but worse than I was expecting. Crash damage and windscreen frame rot meant a new front end and windscreen frame which I think is about £5k in parts alone (I’ve stopped counting). So I’d have probably been better getting one here.

I wouldn’t buy one you or someone independent hasn’t seen.

Snooz3

Regular user
The 'State' is the obvious place to look for a far more plentiful selection of cars............however get it wrong, and many do. Get 'turned over' etc you'll still have paid the shipping, duty, vat & transport from UK docks and all these additional costs will make a 'poggler' even more expensive. I provided dozens of DVLA proof of manufacture letters for members importing Vettes to the UK from the 'States. A number of sorry stories there I'm afraid. Unfortunately all we see on here is guys commenting on their 'good' experiences. I'm guessing most of those who didn't have a 'good experience' became dissolutioned with Corvette ownership and have dropped off the scene.

That's a very good point about only hearing good stories, after having previous forum experience you usually hear a few... though. I have imported Japanese cars through companies previously. I didn't have to worry as much about the element of risk after I had seen the genuine auction sheets and had them translated the Japanese are very thorough with inspection sheets and if you can see them un-altered by someone in the U.K. they can give you an excellent idea of the condition of a car. However I have never intended to get away with getting a 'poggler' I haven't ever really thought there is such thing as a cheap car it's usually not true unless it needs attention or is not 100% what you are after that is what can save you money, like the example that was linked earlier on in the thread. As you are aware I am not familiar with the US to UK importing process so I would like to use a company or person that does this regularly even if it means paying for a service.

Are you sure? They have the look and are loud enough to annoy the neighbours but the drone can be a bit wearing on a trip. My '71 had side pipes retrofitted while in the States (they were optional only on '69's).....

View attachment 7939

I think this looks mega with the side pipes on however I understand what you are saying with the negatives but I guess I can't knock it until I have tried it.

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the advice, may I ask was the small block 300bhp stock? this would be enough power for me I really.

Would love to have the side exits on the car.
The 1968 Corvette came in stock 300bhp and 350 bhp 327 cubic inch small block options (350 cubic inch from 1969 onwards). Then it was the 427 cubic inch big blocks with.... errmm... I forget what the standard was - 390bhp, 425 and 430hp options????

However, those horsepower options are GROSS horsepower (reading without any engine ancillaries attached). The readings were changed to NET horsepower (reading with all engine ancillaries etc attached) around 1972-73 ish in America. All modern cars have used NET horsepower for many many years now. So a 300bhp GROSS horsepower car would probably only be about 250 - 70ish NET horsepower for comparison to modern cars. Still, its quick enough for me, but then I don't drive that quickly. I'm mostly in it for the looks and sound. On the plus side though, the Chevy small block V8 is VERY well supported for modifying etc and you can get good values out of it :)

As to the side pipes, I love them. Yes they are loud, but I like that. I find mine not that loud at motorway speed and ironically get quieter the faster I go. As others have said, you can burn your leg on the sidepipes when you get out - BUT that depends on the type of sidepipes you have fitted. Most photos have aftermarket "hooker" (?) or stainless steel pipes attached. They look good, but are bare metal, so you get burnt. My side pipes (see my avatar) have the standard factory (retrofit) covers over them which are made from a heat shield and fibreglass. So you don't burn your legs at all. Downside though is that they can be damaged by other people kicking it or thinking its a step to get into the car.