1971 / 1972 Engine Output Options On An Automatic?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I'm trying to establish what the best engine output options were available from the factory specifically for an automatic in 1971 and 1972.
After looking at different books and websites, i'm totally confused by what appears conflicting information.

Could anyone clarify for me please? :unsure:
Thank you in advance.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The 350ci was available in 270hp or 330hp. Then of course the 454ci took it up to 390 and above. All motors available with automatic transmission.
I think the base motor was the 270hp version.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
The 350ci was available in 270hp or 330hp. Then of course the 454ci took it up to 390 and above. All motors available with automatic transmission.
I think the base motor was the 270hp version.
Thank you.
I have seen mention of a 425hp available for the automatic in 1971.
Was that not correct?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I think the 425hp could be the another 454ci motor for that year. I know there was 2
I saw mention of an LS6 at 425hp (from the Chevelle line) & also a 350ci 425hp but am unsure if these were the same engine and were they available to autos?
Certainly the latter seemed to be if the information is correct... :unsure:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Top of the performance ranges were LS6 (BB) was 425hp with alloy heads (basically an L89) and LT1 (SB) was 330hp. Both big money now due to rarity.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for that gents.

So, the 64 million $ question...
Which engine would be better to have for torque on a driver car or would (as James said) it be better to modify an engine to get the best balance between torque and fuel economy?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Both the 454 motors will give horrendous fuel economy. People moaned about it back in 1971 and in theUS gas was 12 cents a gallon. The LT1 was only available with a manual transmission. So the 350/270 with a auto and a bit of special tuning may be the answer.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
So the LS6 at 425hp was the top auto option?

Any recommendations as to what would add specific amounts of hp?
In addition, without having to rebuild the rear end, do we know what the hp the engine could be safely taken to on an auto?
@teamzr1 Are you able to kindly advise as suggested by @Nassau65 ?
I read somewhere on a forum the driveline can take about 350 hp without significant upgrading? :unsure:

Roscobbc

So the LS6 at 425hp was the top auto option?

Any recommendations as to what would add specific amounts of hp?
In addition, without having to rebuild the rear end, do we know what the hp the engine could be safely taken to on an auto?
OK, so mines a manual so a different set of potential 'abuse' issues - but I am running more HP (and importantly torque) than any high output 454 or perhaps even the legendary L88 engine (albeit at lower rpm's). The drive train is 100% stock - other than clutch. The rear end ratio is 3.08. Rear tyres additionally with 285 mm section have far more grip than any 1970's options (other than perhaps slicks).
I can report that I am still running all the original drive line components - all this with a very real and genuine engine dyno figure of 571 bhp and 606 ftlbs torque.
However - I never do a 'rev and drop the clutch' type pull aways. I do not do rolling burn-outs. It is this kind of treatment whether in an auto or manual that kills driveline components. Even something simple like ironworks on the carriageway allowing one wheel to spin-up momentarily (and then grip) can play havoc with driveline components.
As to whether an automatic transmission is 'kinder' on driveline components I'll leave for you to consider. Torque multiplication of the converter may well increase stress on components.