1974 Vette L48 Air filter lid and wing nut

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Vetters.......

I know it sounds odd....but I am missing the lid from my '74 L48 air filter......can't track one down in UK....any ideas would be gratefully accepted?....Gus

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Living in the warmth of London I wanted a ‘cold only’ cowl induction system so made my own. The factory version takes hot engine bay air and only includes cold air at WOT. I have incorporated the ‘triangle of death’ into it for good air flow. The solenoid WOT operated cowl induction flap is removed and therefore open all the time.

1911D576-B039-4249-8A06-B802001C474A.jpeg
1E3BB6BD-43C2-4903-8127-D1E1E4DF9B2F.jpeg

AEC5F37D-858B-4692-922A-4A1B7347FA1A.jpeg

Attachments

• 62861166-C080-423A-8AC1-D9F324C93331.jpeg
    62861166-C080-423A-8AC1-D9F324C93331.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 7

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Cooler air into the intake will also be a better charge to the cylinders and better the AFR for WOT
While the venting of hood reduces front end lift and keeping the overall engine bay air temps cooler
to reduce heat long term on everything in the engine bay

Some thermal testing I did with my C5 and hood scoops

Thermal Testing

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Cooler air into the intake will also be a better charge to the cylinders and better the AFR for WOT
While the venting of hood reduces front end lift and keeping the overall engine bay air temps cooler
to reduce heat long term on everything in the engine bay

Some thermal testing I did with my C5 and hood scoops

Thermal Testing
Under bonnet pressure/heat has to escape via wing side vents and bottom of the engine bay as it can’t vent at sealed cowl opening.
Temperature reduction at intake is typically about 15 deg C less than engine bay, so worth several BHP.

F997CA51-7F3A-44E8-8BD1-FF4AC5341257.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I did ponder about the effectiveness of the "snorkel / dual snorkel" air cleaner box, and then adding some pipes to the end of the snorkels and running them to the front to collect cool air.
Would that be something worth doing? I've only got a 327, but it deffo gets hot under that bonnet.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I did ponder about the effectiveness of the "snorkel / dual snorkel" air cleaner box, and then adding some pipes to the end of the snorkels and running them to the front to collect cool air.
Would that be something worth doing? I've only got a 327, but it deffo gets hot under that bonnet.
After the cowl induction years (73, 74, 75 and the L88 race car) the 76+ C3 had the forward air intake fitted above the radiator. This saved on the cowl flap and solenoid so not sure if this was done for economy or for other good reason. Any ‘ram air’ effect would be negligible at legal speeds and the radiator would need complete sealing to force air through the ducting.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

Yes Sir,
Being the outside air being pushed into the intake manifold is colder than there is more molecules per volume then hotter
expanded air so much better burning in cylinder charge which richens up the AFR and reduces chances of engine knock

Look at the C8s now, GM designed it, so there is dual outside air paths directly into the intake

C8airfilerflow1.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Thanks, I thought the "cooler air = better" was good for the engine. But I've not seen anyone replace their standard open air filter for a carb with a dual snorkel and route the snorkels through pipes to the outside somewhere. Not sure where I'd route mine too though.
It was something I was thinking about purely because my 327 gets hot under the hood and must be robbing it a fair amount of power breathing all the hot air from the engine bay.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
The air intake point should ideally be in a high pressure area such as base of windscreen (cowl), front area ahead of radiator, or possibly wheel arch (but dirty perhaps).
450F3946-5602-4437-8E67-74ACF8E55E32.jpeg