1980 front brake upgrade.

Blockpower

CCCUK Member
I'm looking to upgrade the stopping power on my 80c3..

I'm looking for options and suppliers if anybody could help..

First thought would be a simple pad swap in the standard calipers all corners.

Second would be new front calipers, discs and pads, perhaps braided lines though not really necessary for the road. For the front.

I hadn't really noticed the brake performance on the C3 as it's old and well you know you expect it isn't going to be modern and it's they cars character and era.20221113_120845.jpg

But it was really highlighted when I did back to back runs last Sunday starting with the C3 then jumping in my Noble.. it was quite alarming!!

If love to hear of any experiences and results please...

Thanks guys..

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I’ve got EBC yellow stuff pads on my car, brakes are otherwise as stock. It stops pretty well with much improved initial bite over standard pads. I intend one day to fit braided hoses to hopefully improve the pedal.

johng

CCCUK Member
Can't help with the brakes, as I've got standard calipers, discs and pads (which seem fine to me). However, I am interested in your exhaust as I'm thinking of going this route myself. Did you fit it and if so where did you get it from? Also how loud is it and is the centre section painted black or is that just shadow? Are you still using the original exhaust manifold?

Roscobbc

As Andy says - first and relatively inexpensive thing to upgrade is high performance pads (making sure first that disc surfaces are OK) - Goodridge SS braided flexibles will certainly harden-up braking feel. Perhaps consider a minor caliper overhaul and clean-up and install 'o' ring pistons to minimise any future possibility of leaks.
Next step for some people (at a cost) is 'upgrading' calipers to Wilwoods........much lighter in weight, supposedly give a better feel and far less likely to leak..........perhaps unlikely to give any significantly increased braking power though. Some people 'Stateside' use brake assemblies off later C5's and C6's - finally you have systems costing thousands of £'s from Baer and the like with larger discs and multi-piston calipers where you'll need to use 18" dia and upwards wheels........do they give significantly improved braking over an above stock brakes in good order (and my C3 needs all the braking power it can get)........I'm not convinced in terms of value per £ spent.....and no one has ever conducted an official measured brake comparison tests to prove any major benefits. Finally - good tyres.......little point having great braking power if you have lousy tyres that lock-up under heavy bralking or send you off-road!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

Second would be new front calipers, discs and pads, perhaps braided lines though not really necessary for the road. For the front.

I hadn't really noticed the brake performance on the C3 as it's old and well you know you expect it isn't going to be modern and it's they cars character and era.View attachment 19943

But it was really highlighted when I did back to back runs last Sunday starting with the C3 then jumping in my Noble.. it was quite alarming!!

Thanks guys..
I should think you will find a huge difference between your Noble and the C3 . A bit like comparing Concord to Tiger Moth I recon . :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am a big fan of EBC Red Stuff pads . I have just fitted them on all 4 of my 5.7 Hemi Jeep for the second time around since owning it and I fitted them on my Jaguar XKR when I had it . I ran Green Stuff pads on my Marcos but that was a much lighter car and had no servo assisted brakes . I haven`t replaced the pads on the C3 in 6 years of ownership as they all have loads of `meat` left on them but definitely go for Red Stuff when the time comes . The car had braided hoses fitted when I bought it . As Roscob said , good tyres help no end . Recently replaced my 8 year old BF Goodrich`s that still had loads of tread depth but were clearly getting a tad hard . Can really feel the difference .

Blockpower

CCCUK Member
Can't help with the brakes, as I've got standard calipers, discs and pads (which seem fine to me). However, I am interested in your exhaust as I'm thinking of going this route myself. Did you fit it and if so where did you get it from? Also how loud is it and is the centre section painted black or is that just shadow? Are you still using the original exhaust manifold?
Hi John,

It was imported with these already fitted. What I can tell you though is. They don't have additional boxes, they are virtually straight out though they do look to have some silencing built in along the door edge as the pipe is oblong not round.

They are connected to a tubular patriot tight tuck headers via custom stainless pipework by my friend and mechanic.

Noisy? Ermmmm oh yes but in a very very nice way. Thumping throbbing bass sound not sharp revvy screaming.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Nice one with the Silver C3 with side exhausts. I have similar on mine and I love the sound. It uses hedman headers and custom exhaust down the sides under the "standard" side pipe covers. Mine have limited silencers built into the sides under the covers, but not much.

As everyone has said above - good tyres and a good brake pad and stainless hoses are always good. I've not experimented much on my C3 - it came with fancy grooved discs and I have no idea what the pads are. All I know is it works MUCH better after I got a retrofit power-brake kit fitted. However, got Wilwood calipers on my project FTO and that was a vast increase over the original calipers. I've tried a few brake pads over the years on that and found Ferodo pads to be good. Contrary to the other posts above, I've had bad experiences with EBC Red Stuff pads (granted that was ages ago now, I guess they might have improved them), but its sworn me off them for life, and I can't endorse them at all. I've fitted stainless hoses to my FTO and a previous car I owned, and that helps with pedal feel.

SophiaCastro

New user

I hadn't really noticed the brake performance on the C3 as it's old and well you know you expect it isn't going to be modern and it's they cars character and era.
20221113_120845.jpg

But it was really highlighted when I did back to back runs last Sunday starting with the ChatGPT Nova App APK then jumping in my Noble.. it was quite alarming!!

Thanks guys..
Upgrading the stopping power on your 80c3 is a great idea, and you have a few options to consider.

A simple pad swap is a good start, and there are many manufacturers that offer high-performance pads that can improve your braking performance. Some popular brands include EBC, Hawk, and Brembo.

If you want to go further, upgrading the front calipers, discs, and pads is a great way to improve your stopping power. This will likely require some modifications to your brake system, so it's important to consult with a mechanic or expert before making any changes.

Braided lines can also improve your brake performance by reducing the amount of flex in your brake lines, which can result in a firmer brake pedal feel and more consistent braking performance. While not strictly necessary for the road, they can still be a worthwhile upgrade.

As for suppliers, there are many options available, including online retailers like Tire Rack and Summit Racing, as well as specialty brake shops and local auto parts stores. It's important to do your research and find a reputable supplier that offers quality products and good customer service.

Ultimately, upgrading your brakes can greatly improve your driving experience and safety. Be sure to consult with a professional to ensure you choose the right components for your vehicle and that the installation is done properly. Good luck!