1981 Corvette - starting issue

V8Adam

Busy user
Dear all,
I have a 1981 Corvette and wondered if anybody had encountered or had advice on this issue.

Most of the time she starts without any issue. If however, she does not start first time she can then sometimes refuse to start. The only way of resolving it seems to be to leave her for about an hour and then try again, at which point she usually starts fine. I have found that this is usually if the battery is a bit run down, which could well be the issue. I usually leave her on a C-Tek charger but sometimes she ends up off of it for a while.

I have read the owners manual about the starting procedure and how you should not touch the accelerator whilst starting or after. I am assuming this is due to the computer controlled carb.

The manual refers to starting procedures if this happens including pumping the accelerator (presumably if the chamber is empty) and also holding the accelerator down when starting to clear flooding. The trouble is that both of these procedures have never got the car started.

Some further information incase it is relevant is that she quite often falls over when reversing. This is typically if you're turning around, she will go forward fine, into reverse fine, you give a little accelerator, she goes back, struggles and then then engine cuts out. After which she will start again with ease. Doesn't happen every time but more often than not.

The workshop I take it to has changed the timing at some point as she was running a bit rough after a timing chain swap.

Any advice or pointers would be great.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I don't know about the computer carb C3s, but my old school 68 sometimes is a bit hard to start when I've left it for a bit. I'm guessing down to the fuel in the carb evaporating / draining off and it needs to refill the carb whilst turning the starter (and thus fuel pump). If I've used the car recently, it starts instantly.

If you have hot start issues, it could be fuel percolation. I had that too - a think heat insulating gasket between the intake and carb solved my problem.

V8Adam

Busy user
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a little look down once when it was struggling and it looked like fuel was in the chamber. Also I could smell it.

The starting procedure in the manual is unusual as it emphasises that under no starting conditions are you to touch the accelerator when turning the engine over or after running (other than to blimp the throttle for the choke after about 1 minute of idle). I assume this is down to the computer as if you pump fuel in during starting or immediately after running, it must upset the sensors.

This is of course quite different to a normal carb car where you can give it some pumps when turning over to get fuel in there or keep the accelerator down about half way.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’m guessing you’ve got a ballasted coil, if so it’d be worth seeing if it’s got 12v when trying to start and 6v the rest of the time. Or you could just by pass the ballast and see if it makes a difference