1982 crossfire

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It’s hard to believe that the last of the C3 breed of Corvettes are now 40 years old.
The 350 crossfire motor came in for some stick when new, and continued to receive same for years after. Just wondering what people’s views on the motor now, would it put you off buying one?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I'll be watching this with interest as in my on-going search for a C3, I am repeatedly told "avoid the "82 Crossfire because of the computer". :unsure:
It has lots of nice additional features, yet often comes in second to last on the desirable list.

Is that really justified? :rolleyes:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Well, there certainly was a stigma about the crossfire motors in the 1982 and the new for 1984 model corvette. Yes, we all know that the tune port motor of 1985 was a great improvement, but was the crossfire that bad?, personally I don’t think so, and I’ve had a few both as my personal car and for sale. Of course if you want the last of the C3 cars especially a collector edition with its unique opening rear window, you’ve got no choice.

jukebox

CCCUK Member
I have an 1982, owned for 30 years with minimal maintenance and still running well. Have done around 30000 since I bought it, haven't used it quite so much in last few years though.
Now its 40 years old does anyone know how and when you can apply for the mot and tax exemption?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
According to the DVLA website, if your vehicle was built/registered more than 40 years ago no need for MOT
If vehicle was built before 1 jan 1982 no tax. If it was registered before 8 jan 1982 you can stop paying tax from 1st April 2022.

jukebox

CCCUK Member
According to the DVLA website, if your vehicle was built/registered more than 40 years ago no need for MOT
If vehicle was built before 1 jan 1982 no tax. If it was registered before 8 jan 1982 you can stop paying tax from 1st April 2022.
Thanks for prompt reply. Will check build date to see if qualifies this April.

Roscobbc

Thanks for prompt reply. Will check build date to see if qualifies this April.
Knowing the oddities of the DVLA and how they interpret 40 years old - best check if they mean when the car 'reaches' the very first day in its 40th year (following official date of manufacture) - or - whether they require it to be 'after' the last day of its 40 th year - so April 2023 rather than April 2022.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just saw that somebody has listed a 1984 Corvette on eBay. Crossfire motor. Looks very original including the wheels.
Low mileage, but strong money. It’s in re sale red. You can’t go wrong.