2 or 3 dead as C8 driver high speeds into another car

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Two people are dead and another is in critical condition after a two-car crash in the San Fernando Valley, Ca early Wednesday morning.

The crash happened around 3:45 a.m. on the 6400 block of North Balboa Boulevard in the Sepulveda Basin.

Police say a white Chevrolet C8 Corvette was high speeding and ran through a red light when it slammed into a Gray Honda.
Sgt. Hector Gutierrez of the Los Angeles Police Department Valley Traffic Division said the preliminary investigation indicates that the Corvette was traveling around 95 to 110 mph.

The driver of the Honda died at the scene.

The driver of the Corvette died later at the hospital; their passenger was taken to the hospital and remains in critical condition, officials said.
The crash left two of the three victims trapped in the wreckage, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The ages, genders and names of those involved has not yet been released by officials, but family friends at the scene identified the Honda driver as a woman named Kathy.
According to Michelle Matsuo, who identified herself as a longtime friend, Kathy was a loving mother and grandmother and was on her way to her job at the post office.

“I’ve known her since I was 15,” Vasquez said.
“It hurts, as a mom, to see her children will no longer be able to have her … Her grandbaby is going to be 2.”
Matsuo and her daughter went to the crash site Wednesday afternoon to leave blue balloons in her honor. Kathy, Matsuo says, was a lifelong Dodgers fan

c8crash.jpg

Roscobbc

I know the population levels in the 'States are far greater than here in the UK (and Europe) and the ownership levels of Corvettes and specifically C8's (although relatively a relatively new addition) are far, far higher..........but one thing for sure is that our national media (so newspapers and TV) and anti-car brigade would be picking up on occurances like this with a demands for restricted control on who is allowed to purchase and insure high performance vehicles.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Indeed they would. Although it says that the corvette was travelling at 95-110 mph, most if not all modern vehicles can do that speed. The main point I think was that it ran a red light.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Well yes, but there's a reason insurance premiums are higher on a 100 mph Corvette than they are on a 100 mph VW Jetta.

Roscobbc

I read somewhere a few days ago that insurance premiums for Toyota Prius's are extremely high..........now I wonder why that is? (uberuberuberuberuberuberuber)