427 VET

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Ooh, best hope I win the lottery then. :):)
You're probably right. 350 VET went for £4,100 - but that was 25 years ago. More recently numbers like 66 VET were around £5,000.

Wonder what this one will go for? If it gets one or two of the boys with £100k cars bidding on it things could get pretty lively!

Roscobbc

Remember bidding (unknowingly) against John Mayes for 427 RAT a few years ago..........I bailed out at £3.9K + fees........
Thing is........if someone continually enquires with DVLA about availability of a specific unissued or retained number they will eventually put it up for sale. You'll need to remember that perhaps an original enquirer will perhaps bid far more pro-rata. Would it add significant additional value perhaps a 'Top Flight' 427 cu in C2 ?????

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
I must admit, the Registration number boom was something I didn't see coming. Many years ago I was offered NAJ 1 ( my initials) for £25. "No way" I said, "No reg is worth that - and anyway, I don't have a problem remembering which car is mine...!" Hindsight reveals a poor decision :(

Rich

Administrator
I did a similar thing.. Passed by RR 3 in 1986 for sale in the Sunday papers as was the norm then. We were due an election and I felt that Labour may do away with personalised registrations!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Even in the 90’s my old boss’s plate was insured for £25k. Wonder what it’s worth now.

Roscobbc

The problem with 'owning' a personalised registration number is that you actually don't own it! - DVLA makes a nice profit selling the registration numbers which effectively encourages purchasers to space the number/letter combinations and make up names etc. However it is made perfectly clear that it is illegal to do this and 'mis-represent' a registration mark. The DVLA warn you that they can withdraw the registration plate if you contravene this law..........so, spend tens of thousands of pounds on your dream 'plate' ...... and run the risk of forfeiting it?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You do not own the plate as such, you only own the right to display same. DVLA can cancel your right to display at any time.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I saw PE 20 advertised in the exchange and mart for either £495 or £550 in 1979. The mart came out Thursday, thought about it all day /evening, Friday morning decided to buy it, but some bugger had bought it on Thursday.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I did a similar thing.. Passed by RR 3 in 1986 for sale in the Sunday papers as was the norm then. We were due an election and I felt that Labour may do away with personalised registrations!
That would still have been big money even in 1986, plates were a big business by then. Of course RR equals Rolls Royce. The ultimate letter combination for your Roller.

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
I kept an eye on registration plate
427 VET on DVLA website, auction finished yesterday 6/4/22 it went for
£10010.00 😮
out of my price range I'm afraid.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Thought it would have made more than 10k. Of course VET plates have always been popular with Vets. Great plate for a 427 VET tho. Possibly better than money in the bank? plus you’ve got the enjoyment of it being on your car. Still a big chunk of change tho.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I used to see UET 1 in the 80’s it was on a mid year coupe, he had altered the U to look like a V, so it read VET 1. Only noticeable on close inspection.

Roscobbc

Sooooooo - taking in to account the sale price - plus vat and assignment fees etc would the 427 VETregistration add 'value' to the very best Top Flite NCRS standard C2 ('63 coupe perhaps) or a more 'humble' concours C3?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Sooooooo - taking in to account the sale price - plus vat and assignment fees etc would the 427 VETregistration add 'value' to the very best Top Flite NCRS standard C2 ('63 coupe perhaps) or a more 'humble' concours C3
It obviously would add value to any car it was on because licence plates are valuable in our country. The actual plate is worth plenty. Let’s say the car ( a corvette 427) is worth 50k, with the plate on it, it’s worth the basic extra of the plates value. Will a buyer pay any more than that depends on his/her circumstances.

Roscobbc

It obviously would add value to any car it was on because licence plates are valuable in our country. The actual plate is worth plenty. Let’s say the car ( a corvette 427) is worth 50k, with the plate on it, it’s worth the basic extra of the plates value. Will a buyer pay any more than that depends on his/her circumstances.
If 'you' (or I for that matter) were buying a top quality Vette for top money would you want to pay perhaps an additional £15K - £20K for the plate.....?