70/72 centre grill.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi, anyone moved the centre egg crate grill (behind the number plate ) forward so that it is in line with the L and R grills? Seems a popular mod on the us forums, they then run with no front number plate. Dont know how long we would get away with it in the uk. Construction and use misdemeaners used to be a fine only with no points or endorsements but pos a fpn now .

Attachments

• D00DCC17-F71E-4841-93E6-D0F29711A594.png
    D00DCC17-F71E-4841-93E6-D0F29711A594.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think not displaying a front plate is a bit dodgy in today’s world here in the UK. Back in the 80’s and 90’s when I was using C4’s as my daily transport I never had a front plate displayed. Only ever got pulled up once and got a lecture. Those were the days

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I think not displaying a front plate is a bit dodgy in today’s world here in the UK. Back in the 80’s and 90’s when I was using C4’s as my daily transport I never had a front plate displayed. Only ever got pulled up once and got a lecture. Those were the days
I think you are probably right Nassau,… it dont half look good tho 🤣👍

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The stick on numbers look good on a e-type, but not so on a corvette. The space between the lights is not big ( long ) enough, and the corvette emblem bang in the centre doesn’t help either.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Your car is obviously road registered Tim - just out of interest is it road legal? :unsure:
All lights, indicators, wipers, etc, even the horn works, I’ve not connected a windscreen washer reservoir so technically it’d fail an MOT but the electrics for it are there.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That's right - so I'm wondering how C3's ever got an MoT pass when the test was a legal requirement? :unsure:
My MGB’s handbrake had to be absolutely perfect to pass and even then it didn’t really do anything. The emergency brake part of the test must be quiet lax.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That's right - so I'm wondering how C3's ever got an MoT pass when the test was a legal requirement? :unsure:
My MOT tester (also American car person) was telling me the Automatic American cars are easy to pass the MOT for handbrake as they also have to be in Park for the test. So the combined Park and Handbrake was always a pass. The manual gearbox cars though, like mine, they can't use that, and unfortunately can't take your word that you'll leave it in gear when parked (which I do). So for mine to pass, they had to wind it up so it was basically binding the brakes a small amount so it would pass the test, then loosen it afterwards. Silly huh?

Roscobbc

The stick on numbers look good on a e-type, but not so on a corvette. The space between the lights is not big ( long ) enough, and the corvette emblem bang in the centre doesn’t help either.
A six digit 'stick-on' registration number with the slightly smaller (and legal) motorcycle sized digits could potentially be split in two and centred between the Vette badge/front bumper/headlamp flaps. Again probably not quite 100% legal but 100% more legal than running 'sans' front plate.

antijam

CCCUK Member
My MOT tester (also American car person) was telling me the Automatic American cars are easy to pass the MOT for handbrake as they also have to be in Park for the test. So the combined Park and Handbrake was always a pass. The manual gearbox cars though, like mine, they can't use that, and unfortunately can't take your word that you'll leave it in gear when parked (which I do). So for mine to pass, they had to wind it up so it was basically binding the brakes a small amount so it would pass the test, then loosen it afterwards. Silly huh?

When my '71 was imported in 2017 (not by me) MoT's were still mandatory for 'Classic' cars. Between November 2017 and January 2018 it was subject to five MoT examinations. The first four up to 25th January 2018 were failed ; in each case due to "Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)". At the final test on 31st January 2018 it gained a pass. How it achieved this is a mystery to me. When I bought the car in January 2019 the parking brake was totally inoperative and investigation revealed that apart from an obviously new (Chinese) rear cable, the rest of the system was totally original. The cable had been attached to the RH actuating lever that passes through the brake backplate but was not even attached to the LH side!
After replacing every (very rusty) component in the system I managed to achieve a (partially) effective handbrake. The car no longer requires an MoT but if it did I very much doubt it would pass the handbrake test. No handbrake at all is a PITA on a manual car, probably less so on an automatic. Hill starts often require 'heel and toeing' if there's traffic behind and parking means always leaving the car in gear - just as well mine still has a working clutch start inhibitor switch!

Roscobbc

When my '71 was imported in 2017 (not by me) MoT's were still mandatory for 'Classic' cars. Between November 2017 and January 2018 it was subject to five MoT examinations. The first four up to 25th January 2018 were failed ; in each case due to "Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)". At the final test on 31st January 2018 it gained a pass. How it achieved this is a mystery to me. When I bought the car in January 2019 the parking brake was totally inoperative and investigation revealed that apart from an obviously new (Chinese) rear cable, the rest of the system was totally original. The cable had been attached to the RH actuating lever that passes through the brake backplate but was not even attached to the LH side!
After replacing every (very rusty) component in the system I managed to achieve a (partially) effective handbrake. The car no longer requires an MoT but if it did I very much doubt it would pass the handbrake test. No handbrake at all is a PITA on a manual car, probably less so on an automatic. Hill starts often require 'heel and toeing' if there's traffic behind and parking means always leaving the car in gear - just as well mine still has a working clutch start inhibitor switch!
If ALL parking brake components are replaced (including handbrake cable) and drums re-surfaced then you stand a fighting chance. When MOT's were applicable and mechanism adjusted-up so effectively binding it easily exceeded the mot requirements - and yes simply back-off cable adjuster when you get home. The stock system is limited in performance by the physical size of the linings......and the minimal structure of all the components......use the system in anger and brake shoes distort (even stainless ones) which causes linings to crack and break-up.

Roscobbc

A six digit 'stick-on' registration number with the slightly smaller (and legal) motorcycle sized digits could potentially be split in two and centred between the Vette badge/front bumper/headlamp flaps. Again probably not quite 100% legal but 100% more legal than running 'sans' front plate.
Had a measure-up of the space on nose cone in between headlamps and under Vette badge. There is just about sufficient room for a bike sized 6 digit stick on number plate (not a suffix or prefix/prefix 7 digit plate) - if the black background is shaped to match 'V' of the nose/bumper shape it could look good and very 'period).......kinda tempted to do it....