70 to 72 fender vent query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , my fender grills have been painted and then the edges stripped, they were not masked very well and are a bit edgy with some chipping of the paint around the stripped edges. I have been carefully scraping off the excess paint but noticed some chrome is flaking off with the paint.
my question is , does anyone know if they are alloy , white metal or steel ?, I think I am going to remove and re paint them. If they are ali then i guess I can possibly strip the chrome and polish the edges?
any advice on what folk did with theirs? TiA 👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
The grilles are pot metal castings, originally plated before painting. If your chrome on the edges is flaking the simplest answer would be to paint them all over - many owners have done this. It looks better than flaky chrome or bad masking. A PO has repainted mine but appears to have removed the paint on the edges with a blade. Looks OK from 20 feet - crap up close.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The grilles are pot metal castings, originally plated before painting. If your chrome on the edges is flaking the simplest answer would be to paint them all over - many owners have done this. It looks better than flaky chrome or bad masking. A PO has repainted mine but appears to have removed the paint on the edges with a blade. Looks OK from 20 feet - crap up close.
Thanks antijam,
Mine the same ok from a distance but edgy close up. I prefer the stripped edge look to painted all over. I think I will strip and re paint as the colour is a bit thin inside the vents anyway, then I can see the state of the chrome and see where to go, I suspect one could polish the metal edges with progressively finer grades of emery cloth then lacquer the whole vents. Or it may be get a new set. The vents on a 70 to 72 were the reason I went for a car of those years as my favorite. This is how I want mine , nice and crisp around the edges 😁👍A8C6DEF3-BCE0-4590-8539-659F18322590.png

antijam

CCCUK Member
Polish and lacquer may be worth a try. Finding new - or even good second - grilles I think will be difficult. Even if found they will probably be hideously expensive. Whatever you do I'll be interested to know the result.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I found an original unpainted pair in black primer for my yellow '71 I think for $300 so they can be found. I handed them to the Mrs and said paint them for me pretty please. It took her longer to mask the edges than to paint them but she has the patience I lack..

20190616_170519_resized.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Polish and lacquer may be worth a try. Finding new - or even good second - grilles I think will be difficult. Even if found they will probably be hideously expensive. Whatever you do I'll be interested to know the result.
Will add to my list of jobs 👍

Letank

CCCUK Member
@Mr. Cricket What did your wife use for the chrome edges? Do you think a chrome marker pen from amazon would do the trick? Thank you. Mine are flakey.
James, if you’re just looking to touch them up then the chrome pen might work depending on how far gone they are. I found the Molotow Liquid Chrome pens to be pretty good for detailing on models.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
James, if you’re just looking to touch them up then the chrome pen might work depending on how far gone they are. I found the Molotow Liquid Chrome pens to be pretty good for detailing on models.
Used them on a couple of Danbury mint models I bought used, worked a treat.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
James, just looked on eBay.com $250 buys you one, and it didn’t look all that good. Your probably better off restoring yours.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Used them on a couple of Danbury mint models I bought used, worked a treat.
They’re certainly the closest paint I’ve found to a chrome finish. I doubt it would look good over a larger area, but pinstriping would be ok. Not sure how it would stand up to being washed though.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They’re certainly the closest paint I’ve found to a chrome finish. I doubt it would look good over a larger area, but pinstriping would be ok. Not sure how it would stand up to being washed though.
Probably have to lacquer it. Hopefully the lacquer won’t spoil the finish of the chrome.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Just saw. NOS one listed for $395, finished in black primer. They certainly are a pricey item.
Reproduction fender and front bumper egg crates are really expensive, and that’s if you can even get hold of them! I think I read somewhere that you could only buy one side of the fronts too 🤷🏻‍♂️. Definitely something to look out for when buying a 70-72! Replacement front grilles on 68-69 and 73 onwards are cheap in comparison.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Well nothing new on that front I’m afraid. Corvette parts have always been probably the most expensive bits out there . Just look at some of the prices for interior components. Door panels etc. overpriced ? Possibly, Corvette parts made Ralph Eckler, Mike Yager very rich men.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll use the chrome marker pen because it's cheap and easy. I also want my front grills to look this good.
091BF4AD-E662-4EE1-B244-F1855DEE83F7.png