78 to 82 air con

johng

CCCUK Member
If anyone has a 78 L82 (or any 79 to 82 car) with aircon, could you please post a photo of the hose connection from the condenser to the compressor. I particularly want to see the routing of the pipe as it leaves the compressor. Thanks.

johng

CCCUK Member
Thanks Chuffer, but you seem to have a different compressor to me.

I've got a Harrison R4 as in this photo from when I bought the car. I'm looking to refit and recommision my aircon over the winter. I'd like to replace the hose assembly, but the L48 ones are much more expensive than the L82 version. As far as I can tell the difference is that the L82 version must route underneath the compressor, but I'd like to see exactly where it goes to make sure it won't foul anything.
engine bay.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Johng . I see what you mean , totally different to mine which is a 1980 model but has an engine swap to a 1985 Camaro IROC - Z motor so I have no idea what auxilliaries are original and what has been swapped out during its life . I do know that there was one hose squeezed under the the compressor mounting bracket which was pinched and a failure waiting to happen ! I eased the route of it a bit and added a protective sleeve to eliminate chaffing . I will try to get better photos when I go over to the workshop next week .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
As shiny as your engine bay is Chuffers, I kinda like the "used and honest" look of the johng's engine bay. :cool:

Oh sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add to this thread - I don't have aircon, other than window seals that need replacing and thus naturally lets fresh air in anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
As shiny as your engine bay is Chuffers, I kinda like the "used and honest" look of the johng's engine bay. :cool:

Oh sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add to this thread - I don't have aircon, other than window seals that need replacing and thus naturally lets fresh air in anyway. :ROFLMAO:
Mine is hardly shiny CaptainK , its just been smartened up a bit from how I bought it . It is certainly not a custom ` shine and show ` job !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Blimey, that is quite the transformation. Top job :cool:

(do you want to do mine? :ROFLMAO:)
That sure is a huge difference Johng , very nice (y) I cannot see you air con compressor in the photo of your new improved engine bay but I was over at the workshop tinkering with mine today but being a muppet I forgot to take my pocket digital camera ! However , the hose that I referred to that was trapped between the compressor and its mounting bracket was the hose from block / water pump not a hose to the condenser .

johng

CCCUK Member
Chuffer, I didn't fit the air con bits when I rebuilt the car, hence the compressor isn't there at the moment. I'm currently checking out all the old bits to see what new ones I'll need to buy. I was a bit disappointed this afternoon as I pressure checked the condenser (which was good), cleaned it up and spent an hour or so straightening bent fins. I was packing it away feeling pleased with myself when I noticed one of the pipes on the end of the condenser is crushed flat! It doesn't leak, but it's only going to flow half the gas it's supposed to :( . Also I can't get the old orifice tube out of the evaporator, so I'll have to take the evaporator out of the car and possibly even have to replace that as well.
Don't worry about taking any photos, since it's not the same compressor it won't tell me what I wanted to know anyway and the hose seems like the least of my problems now.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Chuffer, I didn't fit the air con bits when I rebuilt the car, hence the compressor isn't there at the moment. I'm currently checking out all the old bits to see what new ones I'll need to buy. I was a bit disappointed this afternoon as I pressure checked the condenser (which was good), cleaned it up and spent an hour or so straightening bent fins. I was packing it away feeling pleased with myself when I noticed one of the pipes on the end of the condenser is crushed flat! It doesn't leak, but it's only going to flow half the gas it's supposed to :( . Also I can't get the old orifice tube out of the evaporator, so I'll have to take the evaporator out of the car and possibly even have to replace that as well.
Don't worry about taking any photos, since it's not the same compressor it won't tell me what I wanted to know anyway and the hose seems like the least of my problems now.
I am glad it`s not there so I can`t see it ! That means I am not going blind or doo lally yet ! :ROFLMAO: Sorry to hear about your other hassles though . :cry:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Do you want to leave your car with me for the next three years? :)
Owwww tempting, but then I wouldn't have a Vette to go to the Vets in. :ROFLMAO:

I'll just have to stick with my current engine bay, that just needs a little bit of a wipe down to be more acceptable.
20200609_164259.jpg

Dellb

CCCUK Member
The route is quite tight. There is an indentation in the side panel that is the route for the pipe and the liquid line. Here it is on my 1980. The torch shows the pipe and route which is outside of the rad frame75B47F00-A993-4DF6-8A97-CED1FDAA0126.jpeg19CDB9D5-BC32-4DE9-83DE-FF6FA8F8C9EF.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
Great thanks Dell, looks like I should be able to get away with the L82 and later cars version. The routing looks very similar except for the initial piece of tubing, but I can't see anything that would be in the way of that, at least I can save a few pounds there as everything else is starting to add up.
Your exhaust manifold looks interesting, is it a casting that has been coated with something? It looks much smoother than mine.

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I got fed up with headers, that blocked access to the oil filter and fried the starter. These are ceramic coated. Surprisingly I have not lost much in the way of oomph, but I never red line her anyway.