'81 4-Speed Manual

Last triumph

Well-known user
For sale is my 1981 4 speed Corvette.
42k original miles
Numbers matching
Black with silver interior
Highly original - only changes are the exhaust and replacement aluminium radiator, (I have the original radiator)

History:
After a 9 month long search I bought and imported it early in 2021 from its second owner and life long Corvette enthusiast on Long Island, New York where it shared a garage with a C2.
The car was supplied new in New York and spent its entire life on Long Island

Paperwork:
V5 in my name / address
All import documents and NOVA etc
Original owners manual
Original sales brochure
GM dealer delivery invoice
Previous owners pocket book detailing maintenance records

Mechanical:
All original drive train
Engine retains the original computer and works perfectly - no coughs, splutters, hesitations, flat spots - all works as it should with instant response and factory oil pressure
Original radiator comes with the car but has been replaced with an aluminium unit - perfect temps
Clutch and transmission work perfectly without issue
Steering has perfect alignment and doesn't pull or wander and the steering wheel is straight
Brakes are strong, smooth, silent and do not pull
Suspension is Gymkhana and all original, still has green labels on springs
Vacuum system works perfectly and the headlights operate smoothy and quickly
Exhaust is a de-cat with X-pipe and 'Pypes' stainless rear silencers - deep, fairly loud, but no obnoxious - see video
Hand brake correctly adjusted and works as it should

Electrical:
All gauges correct and working
Electric windows work
Power door locks work
Still retains US spec lighting, all factory original and working
Wipers work
Under hood light works

Interior:
All original door cards, seat covers, carpets, floor mats, steering wheel, dash, console etc and in incredible condition
Everything present and correct

Body:
Excellent condition
All original weather stripping, mouldings and trim
Lots of original paint
Plenty of factory chalk marks on inner wheel wells and other under body areas
Has had some paint work here and there but done to a high standard and very difficult to detect
Due to high originality, on closer inspection has some minor and age appropriate paint defects - chips, touch-ins, small scuffs/abrasions, small spiders etc but only visible at point blank range, otherwise high presentable and useable

Wheels and tyres:
4 new Cooper Cobra tyres
Original wheels in good condition
Original spare wheel and tyre present, correct and unused
Comes with original jack etc

Frame and Birdcage:
Rock solid and dry
Frame only has some small areas of very light surface corrosion, but no heavy rust or rot
Frame bare and visible and not covered in under seal or any other coatings to hide anything
Birdcage is amazing - see pics of number 2 body mount as indication of condition

Work done in my ownership:
4 new tyres
Laser alignment
Replace valve cover gaskets
Replace oil pan gasket
Replace rear crank main seal - all the above to sort small age related leaks
Oil and filter (high zinc Mobil 1)
Rebuilt front brake calliper
New brake pads
A/C compressor fully rebuild, system pressure tested and R134a service ports added - needs new accumulator fitting (supplied) and re-gas

Extras With the car:
New indoor car cover as pictured
'81 Workshop manual
New high quality door seals
New A/C accumulator
2 x 5 litres of high zinc Mobil 1 and spare Delco filters

Things to improve / address:
E-brake light stopped working, likely the bulb or switch
A/C re-gas/accumulator fitment (supplied with car)
Fit door seals (supplied with car)

Viewing and Inspection:
Car is on the Wirral peninsular, (North West) near Chester / North Wales / Liverpool.
I am more than happy to have anybody come and inspect the car - I have 'Quick Jacks' that can raise the car and a creeper to allow you to fully inspect the underside to your satisfaction - nothing to hide.

Summary:
A highly original, un-messed with, desirable 4 speed manual Corvette in one of the best paint and interior combinations. Superb condition, fully operational, and can be used and enjoyed from day one. It lives in my garaged and comes out for a 10-15 mile exercise run every couple of weeks if the roads are perfectly dry to put a smile on my face. I've enjoyed every moment with the car and having now scratched the itch to cruise round in a manual V8 Corvette, it's time to move on, my thirst to experience different Corvettes undiminished. This is my third Corvette over the last 25 years.

Happy to answer as many questions as you can ask.

£16,000

vZvCjGf.png

yxe8fEt.jpg

F0lKun6.jpg

ediiUA0.jpg

hBRYyDS.jpg

VP9aegN.jpg

Vtoo3F6.jpg

xQZwIYj.jpg

4gJdSmM.jpg

jobv6Sq.jpg

BtwO932.jpg

Ph1a8pn.jpg

Ulflxu5.jpg

7rUWERz.jpg

E0yEK3r.jpg

aYZdpcQ.jpg

JBJgokz.jpg

rkBsOWp.jpg

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks. I've had a C4, this is my second C3 (was determined to get a manual this time!) so perhaps a C5, not sure yet - the right car will find me I'm sure.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Thanks. I've had a C4, this is my second C3 (was determined to get a manual this time!) so perhaps a C5, not sure yet - the right car will find me I'm sure.

Here is a stock 1999 C5 selling,
where the owner installed a four-inch lift and threw on some aggressive-looking 33-inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers,
not to mention bolted-on fender flares, front and rear.

Just expect lots of rock chips as that gravel road will help :)

083122_18b.jpg

083122_19b.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always liked a silver interior, looks especially nice with a black exterior.
Surprised your selling it so soon after buying it, as it took you so long to find it.

Last triumph

Well-known user
I don’t think in all my years I’ve ever kept a car more than about 2 years. I don’t have the space or means to collect them so it has to be one in, one out.

After compromising twice on an auto ‘box with previous Corvettes, I was absolutely determined to get a manual this time to scratch a life long itch, hence took a while to find it, whilst meeting all my other criteria in terms of condition and originality.

There’s so many other Corvettes I’d like to try and experience so time to enjoy the next one too.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Also comes with:
Original black T-Top bags
Silver/Grey protective Corvette seat covers
Front end protective 'bra'
Original New York licence plates, front and rear

Last triumph

Well-known user
To me it's further evidence of a cared for and cherished car.

Hopefully the pics help demonstrate how solid, dry and original it is. I came across some right horrors on my search!